PDA

View Full Version : Diesel smell in the cabin

Sportingmac
20-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I have noticed a strong diesel smell from the car after a run and some of it is now creeping into the cabin - anyone else having this problem?

Sportingmac
13-08-2008, 08:14 PM
All sorted - there is a modification required. Audi have this on their database.

markj820
03-01-2009, 01:39 AM
I am sending this reply again since the first one seemed to have gone into thin air.
I have had my Q7 TDI 3.0 diesel for about 3 weeks now and also noticed the pungent smell of diesel in addition to blue/white exhaust emissions. I brought this to the attention of the garage and they told me that it will go away after a while. I am now doing 1000kms and still have the problem. Could you let me know what is the modification that is required to fix this problem?

damilne6
24-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Had my Q7 since July 07 - This year a strong smell of exhaust fumes were in the car.
Took it to dealer in March who immediately identified the auxillary heater as the culprit.
Once again the smell is evident - now the same dealer says its inferior diesel from supermarkets that is to blame - although how they can know where I buy fuel is a mystery.

Anyone out their with a similar problem.

Sportingmac
24-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Audi cured the smell in the cabin for me - modification required. However whenever the auxillary heater needs to fire up - ie below a certain temperature [not sure what it is though] I get a smell of diesel outside of the car when I get out after a short journey - nothing inside anymore. I think that is normal.

Also - you could try switching of the auxillary heating from the MMI - can't remember as I sit here but it will be in the MMI Car - Systems - sub menus somewhere. Switch it off and sniff test again on the next set of cold days after a short journey.

As for the 'wrong type of diesel' I would be looking for another dealer by now - sounds like the Youth Training Scheme is still has active members :biglaugh:

Try ringing Fontain [independent Audi dealer] technical department for a second opinion. I have found them to be useful for that.

Failing that bring the car to Hull Audi - they are superb.

damilne6
24-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info.
Smell definately in the car mostly when I slow to a stop or crawl along in traffic.
Did not realise I could switch it off - dealer implied they could.
Will give it a try. Hull a tad to far for me though....

Sportingmac
24-11-2009, 04:01 PM
...I think the fix looked like 'metalic masking tape' - maybe it has developed a leak - again - Audi should have checked.

kaled00
01-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey guys,

Noticed this in my Q7 the other day, whats the quickest way to resolve?

Will Audi charge me for this modification my car is out of Audi warranty.

Thanks
Kaled

allroadkev
23-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I have same prob as damilne6 above. What was the modification?

Sportingmac
24-02-2013, 01:16 PM
I have same prob as damilne6 above. What was the modification?

I recommend that you take the car to Audi - it was a recall action - previous onwers should have had this done. You have nothing to lose - and Audi may very well sort this out under goodwill - so push for that - or ask the sales guys to sort under goodwill - either way - it is an easy fix. Or turn off auxillary heating in the MMI.