PDA

View Full Version : Front Brakes squeal very often.

Beato19
20-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi all, wonder if anyone has the same problem as me on a 2006 Octavia classic 1.9TDI. I have just had a brake service done on the car and i wasn't there when my local Tyre and Exhaust centre did it. The car seemed ok when i got it back from them but 3 or 4 weeks later and especially first thing in the morning the brakes would announce that I was on the move again.
I don't know if the calipers were removed and the pads taken out cleaned and copper slipped etc, but the handbrake had been adjusted. Is this a common fault with them? The car has covered 48,000 miles. Thank you. Neil.:(

mluton
20-03-2008, 01:21 PM
mk1 or mk2 octavia

I have the same at the moment, It could be one of many things. Cheap pads, warped disc, brakes are still bedding in. Calliper guide bolts are not moving freely.

Im changing my pads on saturday to see if it helps.

Pop over to www.briskoda.net and ask the question, other drivers will be able to help you more.

Beato19
20-03-2008, 01:50 PM
The front pads on my Skoda Octavia lasted 36,000miles from when the car was new. I fitted cheap pads which squealed like someone in pain when braking. They were italian ones and I took them back to the shop. They gave me a better quality set of pads and the noise disappeared immediately on braking.

The fact that the squealing keeps coming back on the car begs me to think that the brakes should maybe be serviced frequently. Also I suppose if the front discs are ok maybe a better set of pads such as ferodo etc may be a judicious decision. regards all. Neil.:confused:

deansminis
20-03-2008, 10:35 PM
The front pads on my Skoda Octavia lasted 36,000miles from when the car was new. I fitted cheap pads which squealed like someone in pain when braking. They were italian ones and I took them back to the shop. They gave me a better quality set of pads and the noise disappeared immediately on braking.

The fact that the squealing keeps coming back on the car begs me to think that the brakes should maybe be serviced frequently. Also I suppose if the front discs are ok maybe a better set of pads such as ferodo etc may be a judicious decision. regards all. Neil.:confused:

I am no expert but have worked on all sorts of cars and with regards brakes, clutches etc I have always found genuine parts give less problems then pattern parts. It always amazes me when owners go on about how they love their car what ever make and that the manufactuers have built a great car and then they go for pattern parts to save money! When you fit pattern parts you are changing what the manufacutrer built in the first place so you no longer own a skoda or audi or BMW but a Heinz 57 built of different parts.

Only a suggestion but you said the pads lasted 36k when new so I assume they where skoda ones. Take it to a none dealer by almeans but insist on genuine parts it pays in the long run. Regards Dean

Beato19
21-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Thank you Dean for your very helpful and comprehensive reply on the squealy brake scenario.

You are probobly right in what you say about buying Skoda dealers parts for quality etc but take this for example.

My local Skoda dealer wanted to charge me £23.00p + vat for a water coolant temperature sensor. I picked one up for £13.00p from my local motor factor shop and it's exactly the same as the Skoda dealers part. I know that we are talking auto electrical here, but do you think that there will be any difference in quality of the part? Regards Neil.:confused:

mluton
21-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Just to let you know, there is a anti squeel kit for the rear brakes on the mk1 octavia.

mluton
25-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Just to let you know, My front right pads started to squeel so I got some glass paper and gave them a good rub on it and hey presto..............No more squeel.