PDA

View Full Version : B8 Test Drive Thread

craigp
20-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi Guys!
:beerchug:
... been lurking for a few weeks and have finally got around to registering.

I am very keen to buy the new A4 but am dissapointed with the current engine choices. I very much want the 2.0FSI and am trying hard to wait patiently for this to arrive. Along with all the rumours my dealer has also told me that they are expecting this engine to be announced soon. In the interim I have test driven both the 1.8T and 2.0 diesel but am now considering the 2.7 or even the 3.0 diesel engines.

Anyway, one thing I haven't come across on the various forums is a thread where people report on their test drive experience. I for one would be very interested to hear other people's thoughts (especially on the 2.7 and 3.0 diesel).

I'll start the ball rolling with my very brief thoughts (from a few weeks ago so forgive me for lack of detail).

1.8T

This was the first car I drove and I have to say I was blown away with the quality of the ride from this car. It was the SE model with 17 inch wheels. The steering felt very precise and the cabin was very quiet (altough I didn't go on a motorway or similar so can't speak for high speeds). I personally didn't notice the offset pedals that others have been concerned about (I read about it after the test drive) and was impressed with the very even, smooth delivery of power throughout the range. For me however the overall power was a little short of what I would like. Don't get me wrong though, if you're not a speed freak you should certainly not dismiss this car. It certainly isn't a slouch!

Despite the increase in size it didn't feel in any way "too big" (and I'm currently in a Clio 182!), in fact it maintains a fairly nimble feel. The few bumps felt considerably better than in my wife's A3 too (although hers is the sport model with big wheels I guess).

Overall, this was my first drive in the new A4 and I was very impressed:D ... but for me I wanted a little more power.:Blush2:

2.0 Diesel

Although my interest was primarily in the petrol engine my dealer allowed me to take the diesel model out for a spin too. As explained before my wife has an A3 which I use regularly and thoroughly enjoy driving (this is in fact the main reason why I am buying the A4), so my comparison is to that.

As before the drive was fantastic and I have to agree with reviews I have read that the new diesel is *much* quiter than the old models. More torque early in the range than in the petrol (as expected) but in honesty I was personally more dissapointed with this engine than the petrol. It didn't feel anywhere near as powerful as my wife's A3 and these are meant to be similar engine specs.

Personally speaking if I had to buy one of these on the day, for me it would have been the petrol. If however you are doing lots of miles I can see the attraction of the oil burner.

General points about both cars

I loved the key in the dashboard to start the car! :D

I also hadn't realised that the large colour screen is in all models (i.e. not just in sat-nav models). This is a nice touch and it integrates well with the stereo and even climate control system.

I'd also forgotten about the electronic handbrake. Very nice touch indeed!!

The only problem I encountered with both cars was with the manual gearbox. For some reason I had intermittant problems selecting gears both whilst moving and at standstill. I was concious of the difficulties so was very careful to ensure the clutch was fully depressed but still had the odd problem. Anyone else have any gear selection issues?

Anyway, that's enough for a first post. Hope it is of some use to someone and if anyone else feels like contributing, I for one would be interested! ;)

Craig

{Edit} Just realised I didn't actually state that my wife's car is the A3 2.0TDi (140) Sport 2004

paul b
20-03-2008, 12:35 AM
You should do this for a living. Any jobs going on Top Gear?
Paul

alexcf
20-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Hi,

OK, well if you want a really fun ride the 3.0 is the one to go for. If you check the specs, there's a massive difference in power between the 2.7 and the 3.

Key in the dash is fantastic, but if you want to be even more of a show off, Advanced Key is definitely the way to go...

The 3.0 in my opinion is well worth the money, just was a bit disappointing they ripped the DRLs off all the cars except the S-Line (which is what I've ordered).

I totally agree with the new dash, I love it. Friends got an RS4 in the B7 shape, and the MMI system in that is great.

Did you get to try out the reverse camera park assist thing? I have to admit, whilst on the test drive, Guy (the chap taking us round) said, this car's worth £42.5k, instantly my jaw dropped and was like, blimey, that's dead expensive... Low and behold, I'm now awaiting a 3.0 S-line for about that after piling on the extras... I've got a Mazda3 Sport at the moment, so quite a bit of a boost in power, but hey, you only live once!

AUDI-NUT
20-03-2008, 03:00 PM
You should do this for a living. Any jobs going on Top Gear?
Paul

Yep - if your ever looking for extra work you have a job reviewing motors.

Speaking of which I read a number of 'professional' reviews by numerous
magazines etc on the new A4. I do take alot of notice in what they say because from personal experience they normally get it close to spot on and do tend to influence me to a degree when I am choosing a new car.

Basically the reviewers choice is the 1.8T or 2.0D. the 2.7 is supposedly
a bit of a slouch and seems heavy front end and I have seen some pretty negative reviews. The 3 litre seems to fair better but for power freaks, like me, you might be a bit disappointed, its not quite what its cracked up to be.
Got to say, for me the 1.8T wins hands down, sure, it may not have the torque but performs extremely well. The 2.0D is also up there but just loses out top spot for me being that its a diesel.

the_gasman
20-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Craig,

I'm in a similar position to you in that I'd like to buy a new A4, but the engine choices don't just quite add up for me.

I have driven the 2.7, and am awaiting a drive in the 1.8T so was interested in your mini-review. It is wirth noting that the 2.7 only comes with the multitronic gearbox, so if you want manual you'll need to take a different engine. I quite liked the multitronic, it was very smooth, and have manual over-ride with 7 gears if you want. My overall impression of the 2.7 was that it was very refined. It doesn't feel at all sporty to drive, but rather like a smooth, powerful executive car. It was very deceptive, quietly and smoothly accelerated to 90 and felt like it was doing about 50. I didn't get a chance to try it on windy roads, so I guess a sportier character may be hidden in there.

The problem for me with the 2.7 is, of course, the price! Would the 1.8T be a better option at £4.5K less, only 30 less bhp, and similar economy? Or the most "sensible" option, the 2.0tdi? Personally I'd like a bit more power than 140bhp. Will there be a 170bhp 2 litre with multitronic?

Martin

smac1968
21-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I have had my 2.0 tdi for 3 weeks now....on the gearbox front, have encountered getting into 1st and 2nd can be a bit tight, even when moving....also had a couple of instances where electro-mech break did not release when moving off, (always in reverse), but then works later...also drivers seat makes noise when taking away in 1st.....compiling a list of small issues before taking back into dealer, to get these fixed.

smac1968

dc1743
21-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi,

I have a an A4 2.0 TDI SE on order, it was built this week (week 12) and my dealer tells me that the Audi computer states 'Production Complete'. Just waiting for it to be shipped to the UK now.

I have bought it to replace a 2006 A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Sport and I was interested in your comparisons between the A3 and the B8 A4 2.0 TDI SE.

After a test drive including a spell on the motor-way I was struck by the massive increase in refinement in the A4. My A3 impressed at the traffic lights with the PD TDI engine's all or nothing power delivery, but in reality on a long motor-way journey was tiring due to excessive engine and road noise. The A4 on the other hand was very quiet at motor-way cruising speeds and seemed to have a more linear power delivery and better insulation from road noise. The A4s engine made the A3s seem agricultural in comparison.

I too detected no problem with the offset pedals and I think some of the road tests in the motoring press overstate the problem. I have fairly long legs and it may be that if the seat is nearer the pedals the problem is exacerbated. The key and handbrake are inherited from the VW Passatt and will take a bit of getting used to.

The road test car had the standard radio and CD setup, and I felt that this system did not sound as good as the one in my A3. The wife described it as 'tinny' and she does not normally take an interest in these things. I am glad that we are getting the 'loyalty' B&O sound system.

The cabin seems well up to the impeccable build quality in the A3. I was surprised at how narrow the rear window was and am glad that I have got rear reversing sensors.

I was struck by how colour sensitive the car seemed to be. I know this is subjective but the demonstrators were dark in colour (lava grey and deep sea blue I think) and seemed drab to me. A silver metallic one in the showroom seemed to show off the cars new shape far better. Having said this I have always loved Audi's Brilliant Red and thats what I ordered.

Regards

alexcf
21-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Now I'm really considering the B&O system.. :| Hmph! What to do!

I think my leasing company placed the order for me the other day, not sure I can go back to them and get anything added :(.

Ho hum.

frankNYC
31-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Now I'm really considering the B&O system.. :| Hmph! What to do!

I think my leasing company placed the order for me the other day, not sure I can go back to them and get anything added :(.

Ho hum.

i got the B and O sys and when i got my 5K mile service, they gave me a brand new a4 loaner, except it was an A4 premium, not an A4 prestige like mine.

The B and O sys def sounds better, and has 14 speakers, but the regular, OEM system is a lot louder. it doesnt sound as good but its a lot louder

CBL
04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Craig,

I have driven the 2.7, and am awaiting a drive in the 1.8T so was interested in your mini-review. It is wirth noting that the 2.7 only comes with the multitronic gearbox, so if you want manual you'll need to take a different engine. I quite liked the multitronic, it was very smooth, and have manual over-ride with 7 gears if you want. My overall impression of the 2.7 was that it was very refined. It doesn't feel at all sporty to drive, but rather like a smooth, powerful executive car. It was very deceptive, quietly and smoothly accelerated to 90 and felt like it was doing about 50. I didn't get a chance to try it on windy roads, so I guess a sportier character may be hidden in there. The problem for me with the 2.7 is, of course, the price! ?

Martin

I am about to collect a 2.7TDI S-Line A4 Avant '58 plate (reg last day of Feb 09) and went through a lot of the same considerations on this post. With the car as a family driver (wife also driving), it had to be auto and with the mileage we anticipate, diesel. That instantly cut down the options and although I was focused on the 2.0 TDI to start with, the thought of 143 bhp in a fully packed estate left me feeling it could be quite underpowered. There was also a lot of uncertainty as to when a 170bhp 2.0TDi Auto Avant could be available if my memory serves.

I had not considered the 2.7TDI therefore (due to price) until I went for a test drive, and after 30 minutes on dual carriageways and some twisties, was generally very impressed. The ride of the car was not unduly stiff and I found the multitronic box extremely smooth - much more so than I expected. The interior spec was also impressive, the car I drove coming with B&O, full leather, parking sensors, full tech pack etc. The previous poster is correct in that it is not an excessively sporty ride, but for comfort and considering the need of a baby and all that entails, it was absolutely what we were seeking. I did not find the limited test drive threw up undue experiences of the car being front-end heavy, found the brakes most responsive, and the pick up in the mid-range of revs very impressive.

As regards external reviews, there are many differing views on most cars, but I took some solace in the attached which was positive;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=295

Ultimately, we simply really liked the car and it ticked all the boxes we need now and in the future. In addition and from a price perspective, for a car with < 5k miles on it and barely any wear, I consider I ultimately got a good deal. I should add that I also drive a TVR Tuscan and V8 Mustang recreationally and for commuting in, so did not need to go to the whole hog of the 3.0li for performance sakes or seek an overly "sporty" set up in the Audi.

AndyH123
04-08-2009, 05:03 PM
The A4 is a tricky thing to compare.

Aside from the engine choices, there's the size of wheel and also the assisted steering option to consider.

Always makes interesting reading though. Personally I prefer my heavy steering 2.0TDI to the servotronic 1.8T's I've had as loan cars. I expect I'd like a 3.0 even more but I've yet to try one (probably a good thing).

Still can't get enough B&O, though I fear for my hearing! Actually even that varies slightly depending on what kind of MMI you have, the loaner I had while mine was serviced last week had different knobs in the Sound Setup screen.