PDA

View Full Version : Airbag Light?

dppowell
29-11-2006, 05:22 PM
I have just purchased an A4 2.8 Quattro yesterday without a manual for the controls etc.

The Airbag light is on, does that mean that the Airbag is faulty or is it just letting you know that you are safe because the airbag is working?

Thanks
David

skyeman
29-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Air bag light should go off after a few seconds on starting up. I had a problem with this on a Bora, it was the wiring loom under the drivers seat that was faulty, though I was assured that the air bag would function normally!
Got it replaced at dealer, they quoted £114 for the job, then attempted to charge £220, I persuaded the service manager, who made me wait for nearly over an hour, that I was liable to insert something sizeable up his back passage and he took £100 off the suggested bill.:aargh4:

dppowell
29-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Well I'm not paying £114 quid to make a light turn off - I'll just leave it on!

Anyone else know anything about this?

Boardboy
29-11-2006, 07:42 PM
The light is on because there is a problem with the airbags. Like skyeman says it could be a problem with the wiring under the seat. When you turn on the ignition the airbag system does a self test then if the system is OK the light should go out.
You could run VAGCOM on it to see what it comes up with.
Regards Boardboy

skyeman
29-11-2006, 08:00 PM
If its the wiring loom then the drivers seat has to come out and they replace the whole loom. But get a dyagnostic done just to be sure, you'll feel crap if you need it and it doesn't activate.

dppowell
30-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks for teh suggestion to "run VAGCOM" on it. As a complete newbie, how do I run "VAGCOM"?

Thanks
David