PDA

View Full Version : Help! 1996 A4 won't start need ideas

ninthtoe
29-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Hello: was hoping for some ideas to avoid the dreaded visit/tow to main dealer.

I have a 1996 1.8 A4 SE.
Have had it for 6 years, no problems, often slow to start (immobiliser key problem for a few goes, but always starts after a few tries)
But now it's not firing at all.

So far:
1st electriction : said there was no spark on one side of coil - replaced ignition coil. Said no pulse from crankshaft sensor. I got a new sensor, but he couldn't fit, so went to:

2nd electrician: fitted sensor, but doesn't think it was this. Says ECU only says immobiliser fault.

Am I doomed to be royally fleeced by my friendly Audi dealer?

cheers:(

Bartoosh
01-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Can you specify the symptoms? (i.e. does it turn over, etc)

A Haynes manual is often a good place to start. Check the troubleshooting section at the back.

Boardboy
02-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Immobilisers are great when they work but are a real pain when the fail. I've had two fail on me! Did the electrian get the fault via VAGCOM?
Regards Boardboy

sgys04110
27-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum but not new to the problem you seem to be having! I had the RAC out to my car as it too wouldn't start, he told me it was one of the coils and took it to my local garage, they checked it out replaced the coil and whella" it wouldn't start, they couldn't continue as they didn't have the equipment needed to diagnose any further so it went to the dreaded dealer, They found the problem to be the DASH-POD! don't ask me what it is but it cost me £600.00 to get my car back, I have only owned the car for4 weeks so you can imagine how happy I am (NOT).
Regards
Steve