PDA

View Full Version : Audi Avant A4 Symphony Stereo Radio failure

SimonVindec
18-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Hi I'm a Newbie so sorry if I ramble. I've owned a year2000 A4 Avant TDI Manual for the last 3 years. I was not given the activation code for the Smphony stereo by the previous owner. I feared I would have to change the battery at some point, so when it went in for service I asked the Audi dealers to try and extract the stereo, get the serial number and give me the activation code. Simple? OH No! they cracked the facia and told me the keys didn't work so it was a dash out job £Hundreds. So I carried on with fingers crossed. I never really used the radio part of the stereo but did experience difficulty finding stations and put it down to my lack of undertsanding and the probability that the station signal was mixed up in the traffic broadcast information service which I'd discovered after just first getting the car. or the RDS or Memo service thingy Zzzzzz.
Anyway! The enevitable flat battery meant a new battery fitted. When I tried the stereo I expected the safe mode screen requesting the code, but instead I got nothing and guessed it was one of the two fuses. You guessed it! yessss it was the one behind the stereo to which I could not get!!
SO! trim, Glove box, etc etc out to just be able to plimpse the back of the clips holding in the stereo. After a million calls I hired some keys (Why don't they sell them? why persicute the majority of honest people for the sake of a few stereo thieves Grrrr!!)to see how! they work and which clips aren't! working. Eventually realise top right clip is broken and lodged stopping the stereo coming out. I pulled it away and hooray! out comes stereo. New fuse in, power up and away it goes both CD and Cassette. NO ACTIVATION CODE REQUIRED!!!!! However the radio now hisses and seeks continually but doesn't find a station strong enough to play except when coming out of the traffic broadcast you can just hear music feintly behind the hissing for about 2 seconds before it starts auto seeking. It is like an aerial lead connector has come out but cant see any and the aerial jack seems to fit in the radio fine. Haven't found another aerial with the right coupler to try yet. I've also tried cleaning the thread of the screw in (Steady) roof aerial antenna which was badly corroded along all of it's length, but without joy.
So!
Can ayone tell me Why i don't need a security activation code?
And What might be the problem with my radio?
Could the two be connected? :confused:

hagis
19-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Welcome to the forum Simon, quite a battle you've had there!

You're best posting this in the A4 thread for a chance of an answer, good luck!

SimonVindec
19-03-2008, 02:15 AM
OK Thanks Hagis.
Simon