PDA

View Full Version : Cheap VAG COM options for a novice

witblitz
18-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I have just bough a 1999 golf 4 1.6 AKL engine which has lots of problems and am starting to realise that in order not to be ripped off by the VW dealers and others I need to be able to do things myself which means that I need to be able to detect faults and clear them plus one or two other basic functions. I need some advice on the best and most cost effective software and cables to use. I also own a 2003 Polo so would like to get something that is compatible. Any help would be great.

pgarner
18-03-2008, 03:14 PM
cheap option would be to buy a third party cable off ebay for around £10 dont pay more than £15 in total. and download the shareware version of vagcom from ross-techs website this allows you to read and clear codes as well as a bit more, but not much.
once you get the hang of it get a license for it its about £50 at current this allows you into the more detailed sections

such as the shareware version for engine allows you to measure blocks no 1 - 20 whereas the full version allows you all of them

witblitz
20-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks, I have been checking the options out and it seems that there are plenty of connectors that are compatible with vag com 409.1 is this sufficient or should I go for one which is compatible with later software versions?

Uwe@Ross-Tech
20-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Your car is a 1999 model. Version 409 is a from 2004. There are a few exceptions, but a good rule of thumb is that the software you're using should not be older than the car. In this case, you've got plenty of safety margin on that rule.

-Uwe-