PDA

View Full Version : Central locking and instrument display problem.

StuartBritton
18-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I would be grateful if someone could help me on this.

Over the weekend my Alhambra TDI 2003 decided that it would reset the instrument display each time the engine is key'd off (total mileage uneffected). This does not occur when key is turned to battery light on position, only when engine is turned off. Intererstingly the battery level indicator shows minimum volts. At the same time the drivers door central locking is out of sync (and slower) than the other doors, therefore if remotely locking it may take 2 or 3 times of locking and unlocking to lock all doors and the same to unlock all doors. Everything else is working OK. Abit puzzled that both symptoms have apperaed to occur at the same time....

Thanks
Stuart

Crasher
18-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Possibly is low battery voltage so get this checked using a multimeter with the engine running and not running and you should see aprrox 13.8v and 12v respectively.

StuartBritton
19-03-2008, 09:06 AM
thanks for suggestion, checked out battery voltage and this is correct, back to the drawing board.

Might try a diagnostic tool to see if this comes up with anything...
thanks
Stuart

StuartBritton
05-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Problem solved !!!
A fuse had blown when I tried connecting a faulty diagnostic tool a few weeks back. it was 5 amp fuse for the engine daigonstic but somehow linked to c/l and instrument panel. The fuse was number 32 ( 3rd from right on bottom row).
Thanks
Stuart

govman333
17-01-2010, 06:54 PM
hi stuart
just read your problem, identical to my current fault but i had not used a diagnostic device, i just noticed the voltage meter was zero and not 13-14v as it normally was. i had tried 3 fuses of 5amp in socket 32 each blowing as soon as it went in, where did you plug in the dianostic tool - in case theres a short on this socket. did you car run alright without this fuse or was there charging problems...there seems to be charge going to the battery as i checked with volt meter. i was hoping that the fault could easily be rectified as i read you post but you were lucky it was only the fuse. i have search the net and yours was the only post that was the same faults as mine.
rgds
dave

Alihambra
08-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Had all these problems on my 2006 alhambra 1.9 TDI auto,couldn't figure it, tried everything, then one day after being out driving all day went to walk dog and nothing battery was as flat as flat thing. Got jump start went home. IT STARTED UP NEXT DAY FROM COLD NO PROBS!!! got new battery and all solved. Guy told me that silt builds up in battery settles to bottom when you stop touchs bottom of plates and you have a short.Hope this helps.

govman333
12-09-2011, 10:12 PM
not quite a response but i did find out all my problems - electrical , were due to broken wires in the tailgate loom by the hinge. one minute it was driving ok, turned off, few minutes later tried to start dead battery. warm loom at the hinge( it was a very cold winter) and four wires including the thickest broken and barely touching, since resoldering wires no problems. this would explain why a few years earlier i had trouble with my tail lights all ot working but then corrected themselves after a week. this also zero'd my mileometer too. i have found the place for most electrical faults is to check all loom wiring in the door joints especially central locking and electric window issues. i s
uppose due to age the wires get brittle with the opening and closing of doors and tailgate. hope this helps someone i nearly sold the car twice because of these faults just luck the last time that i found the cause and it did not cause a fire.