PDA

View Full Version : slight oil leak

melcon
18-03-2008, 08:11 AM
hi i am new to this forum. could someone please help with this problem A3 tdi 2.0 2004 (54)

I have noticed that i have a little oil on the undertray its nearside from the cover infront of the wheel to the centre just under the front bumper if that makes sense.

its only a little bit just hanging i have looked from the top and can not see any oil any ideas

many thanks steve.

MickCheese
18-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Is the oil filter any where near this area on a tdi? Could it be a little loose? When was it last changed? Did whoever change it allow some oil to fall onto the underskirt and it has just blown around?

Could it be some has escaped when you last topped up the oil?

Look at the simple things first.

Mick

melcon
18-03-2008, 06:31 PM
thanks for the reply mick, i have only had the car for a week and they did a service
spotted it when i first got the car and maybe oil from the oil change had dropped down from when the filter changed how long do you thinck it would stay there for as they have give me a 3 month warrenty. thanks

MickCheese
18-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Depends how much was dropped but personally I would take the car back and get it checked. If it is a leak you need to get it sorted.

Mick

melcon
18-03-2008, 09:45 PM
thanks, do you know if they are any oil pipes around the front bumper.

MickCheese
19-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't as mine is a petrol version. Sorry

melcon
19-03-2008, 06:00 PM
cheers mike,,thanks for your help. i got it booked in they are going to check it out.

blat182
30-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi Melcon
I have just read your post and your story is exactly the same as mine. Same car, just bought it, all seemed fine, just noticed oil leak from same place as you....

Would you let me know what your folk discover when they have had a look at your leak

Grateful for your help

Ian

melcon
31-03-2008, 06:55 PM
hi, got them check it they took off the under tray and checked they could not find anything,,not seen any oil for couple off days just checked again under bumper and a bit is there again,,?????its very clean oil not sure where its coming from you had any luck.

Robbycroft
31-03-2008, 08:51 PM
hi, got them check it they took off the under tray and checked they could not find anything,,not seen any oil for couple off days just checked again under bumper and a bit is there again,,?????its very clean oil not sure where its coming from you had any luck.

If it's very clean oil it could be some type of hydraulic fluid. Maybe out of your clutch or brakes or power steering, engine oil is never clean really, i've had mine changed a week ago and it's black with carbon already. I could be wrong.

Robbycroft
31-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Might be diesel, the diesel pump is round the front.

a8 tech
31-03-2008, 08:57 PM
sound like pag oil from the aircon.

melcon
31-03-2008, 09:54 PM
cheers for the info whats the pag oil.

many thanks steve

a8 tech
31-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Might be diesel, the diesel pump is round the front.this is a pd unit and there is no fuelpump around the front.There is a tandem pump buts thats on the head above the gearbox and diesel is very smelly unlike pag which is hydroscopic and the condensor is located behind the radiator and the compressor itself is located osf lower engine.The fuel filter housing however is located next to the osf headlight.Not trying to rub you up the wrong way but i have stuck my fingers in many smelly things and got the apprentice to have a good old wiff ie fuel in the oil and poo on my finger:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Crasher
31-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Oil drips off the intercooler (which is at the front) pipes from junctions due to slight oil mist from the turbo and crankcase breather. This tends to gather at low points in the charge air pressure system and then gets blown along until it reaches a junction where it slowly weeps out. On the Fabia VRS there is even a hole in the under tray to allow this oil to drop onto the floor, rather than gather on the tray.

melcon
31-03-2008, 10:27 PM
cheers for the info checked again and the oil seems oil & water..

Robbycroft
31-03-2008, 10:42 PM
this is a pd unit and there is no fuelpump around the front.There is a tandem pump buts thats on the head above the gearbox and diesel is very smelly unlike pag which is hydroscopic and the condensor is located behind the radiator and the compressor itself is located osf lower engine.The fuel filter housing however is located next to the osf headlight.Not trying to rub you up the wrong way but i have stuck my fingers in many smelly things and got the apprentice to have a good old wiff ie fuel in the oil and poo on my finger:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Oh, ok :approve: