PDA

View Full Version : I got a headlight problem

herbster
09-02-2005, 01:12 AM
Someone please help, :zx11: :got a mk2 gti 1987-88 if I turn the lights on when iginition is on the instrument panel goes dead ie. tacho and lcd clock die, but engine stays running, when I turn them off the check lights flash then all is normal, also the blue main beam light remains on while dipped in this mode and goes off when main beam is on! Checked the relay- good, and the flash switch- good, looked for the earth wire in the boot on the right ???????? :confused: Are there any other earths to check?

JBOB
10-02-2005, 07:53 PM
I had this problem on my old 8v Golf and it turned out to be a short in the wiring at the back of the clocks. Best thing i can say is take the clocks out and have a really good look at them.

stuart
10-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi

Only things I can think off that we had sort of "common" problems with were the printed circuits on the instrument cluster, the main light switch on the dash burning our, which effects the dimmer, or the wash wipe/indicator switches.

May be worth just trying these as well.

Stuart

herbster
21-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi, thanks for the advice, looked around deeper into the trouble, found that I had left an earth wire from the rocker cover to the gearbox off!:zx11:
All sorted now anyway:beerchug:

Thanks again.:biglaugh: