PDA

View Full Version : My T4 Clutch

seren
17-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi everyone im new to this computer world so you ll have to bear with me iv just boght a 52 plate T4 and the clutch judders quiete bad as you take off just wondering if any one could drop some light on the subject is this a problem or not any replies be great

Ricky Young
18-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Had same problem with my 51 t4. The thrust bearing had gone,happened just as warrenty ran out. My van started making grinding noises after a while so went to my local garage who replaced it and put in new clutch for £1200,hope this helps
Ricky

seren
18-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi buddie thanx for reply just wondering what sort of mileage had yrs done before this had happened mine has done 57k iv only just bougth van yesterday and not sure what to say to the garage i had it from should they be liable to repair it

Herman.58
21-03-2008, 06:53 PM
A juddery clutch is commonplace on the 2.5 tdi. It has a dual mass flywheel which has been targetted as the cause. My 2002 88hp juddered when I pulled away. I just got used to it. I think it unlikely that it is the release bearing. When that starts to fail you normally get noise when you depress the clutch, not judder.

My 2.5 has solid flywheel larger diameter clutch as I have 160hp to contend with. It still judders slightly on pullaway. but I reckon that thats more likely to be caused by the engine mounts struggling to cope with the extra torque.

I'd be reluctant to go changing your clutch unless its slipping.:beerchug:

Herman.58
21-03-2008, 06:59 PM
My van had done 65k when i bought it. It only started slipping when I upped the power. The judder was just an annoyance. I belong to the T4 forum, plenty of guys have reported similar issues with clutch. The 102 hp clutch is normally better I think.:beerchug:

seren
21-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi buddie thanx for yr reply its good to know its not just on my van i took it to south hereford volkswagen today he said he would nt be worried about the judder but my clutch release is quite high is there any adjustment on these clutches cause i havent a clue

Herman.58
21-03-2008, 07:43 PM
No worries, thats why these forums are so useful. I'm not aware of any way of adjusting the clutch. If your clutch is biting high I would think it has plenty of life left in it. Last hydraulic clutch I had that was worn out was biting very low, literally as soon as you let the pedal out. :beerchug:

seren
21-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanx Very Much For Yr Advice Cant Believe How Much Stress This Van Has Caused Me Had All Sorts Of Ideas Running Throught My Head About Getting Rid Of It Taken It Back To Dealer All Sorts

midiwife
29-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanx Very Much For Yr Advice Cant Believe How Much Stress This Van Has Caused Me Had All Sorts Of Ideas Running Throught My Head About Getting Rid Of It Taken It Back To Dealer All Sorts

Hi there,

I'm having similar woes at the moment. Mine's in the VW dearlers' garage in North London. They're replacing my pedal box which is a separate issue but a very common one. Like Herman.58 I'd recommend the T4 forum for loads of helpful advice.
But yes, I agree, vans can be very stressful. I'm persevering though.