PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk3 GTi 8v cutting out

farny
28-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi -
I have an August 1997 Mk3 Golf GTI 8v with 186k on the clock - I've had it from new & it has never missed a service. 10k ago it started to cut out when driving. After a 30 second or so wait it would restart & the fault would not happen for several hundred miles. The problem became more frequent leading up to the 180k service & I discovered I could stop it by dosing with REDEX. At the service they changed the fuel filter & recommended I try not to run the car too close to empty. This worked fine until 186k when I let it run almost empty - it started doing it every journey & taking longer to restart. I've dosed with Redex again & done 100 miles with no problem. Question is; new tank? have the tank cleaned? filler pipe problem? is changing the fuel filter a DIY job? Suggestions welcome - it is such good car otherwise, I just don't want to have to lob out too much on such a high miler.

Cheers

farny

Boardboy
28-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Changing the fuel filter is not to bad a job. They do get covered in road crude so you might want to soak the clamp with some plus gas or something similar. I've changed them on a MKII & III. I'd go for the filter first.
The tank is plastic so it shouldn't be rusty inside.
A friend had an old MK I that used to do the same. He dropped the tank and cleaned it out, but I think his tank was steel.
Regards Boardboy

coxy
29-11-2006, 10:32 PM
You might concider the relay for the ECU. My last golf (same spec)suffered the same problem until I changed this inexpensive part. Sorry dont have record of part number.

Kev.trebuan
10-03-2007, 11:51 PM
The part number you want is 165906381 and will cost you £11 from a main dealer. I bought one today and the man in parts said it was a common fault. If you Google this part number you will see other peoples experience of the same problem.:Blush: