PDA

View Full Version : Immobiliser?

CATOMITE
17-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Hi i have a 1996 Passat variant Tdi (66kw) i was just wondering if these cars had a immobiliser from the factory? some people have told me that they have a chip in the key type of immobiliser can anybody confirm or tell me otherwise.
Thanks

erico
18-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi i have a 1996 Passat variant Tdi (66kw) i was just wondering if these cars had a immobiliser from the factory? some people have told me that they have a chip in the key type of immobiliser can anybody confirm or tell me otherwise.
Thanks
Mine has the immobilizer. Yes, there is a chip inside the black housing of the key. You can pop the housing open carefully with a jewelers screwdriver to look at it. It only fits in its slot one way(is pretty much idiot proof).

It is a Phillips PCF7931XP/SQ. I have been unable to find much info on it. It is a transducer which sends identifying(valid key) information to the immobilizer system through a pickup located close to the key switch. If you don't have a key that has been identified to your Immobilizer, your car will not start. You can adapt keys to the ECM (Engine Control Module). You can adapt the keys using VAG-COM. You must do all keys at the same time.

cheers,
Eric