PDA

View Full Version : cylinder head issues

Strutt
16-03-2008, 09:45 PM
I finally bit the bullet and made a start on my head gasket(1988 mk2 1300cc golf).Im not sure if this is a massive problem or if it just comes with head gasket problems but when i took off the air filter cover i found that the air filter was sitting in a pool of oil and the carb was also covered in this browny coloured gunk.The car was running before i dismantled it so i know it works but what i need to know is,what caused it and will having the head skimmed sort this problem out.

Aswell as that i have taken most of the bits off in order to remove the head but im using the haynes manual and it says remove the water pump to loosen the tension and then remove the belt.I removed both of the bolts but cant get the pump out.It says turn it clockwise to remove but i cant get it.Anyway i slipped the belt off the cam sprocket but will need to get the water pump issue sorted when i go to retension the belt.there must be a bolt ive missed.?????????????

Crasher
16-03-2008, 09:51 PM
The water pump has three bolts. The gunk in the air cleaner will be due to a blocked crankcase breather unit which takes about 15 mins to change with the proper tool.

Strutt
16-03-2008, 10:04 PM
were do i find this crankcase breather unit,what does it look like and how did it become blocked.Is it related to the head problem or seperate all together.What tool do i need.The third bolt on the pump must be underneath?????Your obviously a vw mechanic?Hats off to you man your a mind full of info

Crasher
17-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Follow the 20-mm bore breather hose from the air filter down to the back of the block where you will find a dome and pipe sticking out of the block. These can be popped out with a long crow bar but refitting them requires a cap that goes over the top to allow them to be hammered back in, don’t be tempted to grind it down to make it fit or hit the top as this crushes them and pattern replacements from sources other than VW are a terrible fit. I bought my installation tool 25 years ago and I have no idea where to buy one now. They get blocked up due to the engine running, it is a simple as that and it has been a problem with the 0.9, 1.1, 1.3 and later the 1.05 engines since the late 70’s. Yes, the other bolt is at the bottom, you must remove the pump to replace it or at the very least the "O" ring or else it WILL leak.

Strutt
20-03-2008, 12:04 AM
I followed the 20mm rubber hose from the air filter housng to what looks like a fat cylinder type plastic thing which is connected with a jubilee clip and then the other side has a similar hose which is connected to the block also with a jubilee clip.Is this the right hose????A smaller tube tees off it and is connected to the valve cover.I noticed when i removed the air filter housing that the 20mm tube was twisted and kinked.Could that be the problem.

On the water pump problem i couldnt find the third bolt as it didn't exist.Whoever did work on it before broke off one of the adjusters on the pump and used some sort of blue sealant on it to hold it in place.I am now waiting on a price for a new one.Hope the new one goes in smoother than this one came out.

Crasher
20-03-2008, 02:55 PM
The fat cylinder is an oil separator canister (I forgot to mention it as not all cars had it) designed to prevent oil getting up into the air cleaner, this was a problem from new and that cylinder will arrest normal oil vapour flow.

The short “T” piece hose that connects the canister to the block as you see it is actually connecting to the breather unit which is the part that gets blocked and has to be knocked out from above.

A twisted hose certainly could cause the problem.

Strutt
21-03-2008, 12:11 AM
OK, so i take it the oil seperator canister is now to be replaced.The twisted tube is the larger one(approx 20mm) that leaves the bottom of the air filter housing,just so we are talking about the same thing.What should i do from here????:confused:

golf tdi 02
21-03-2008, 12:21 AM
go on crasher this is gettin really good

Crasher
21-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Not the canister, no; they can be re-used as long s they aren’t cracked. The part I am referring to is a dome shaped metal canister below the separator and this is pressed into the block, painted black and very difficult to see. The breather unit is the part in the picture with an arrow pointing to it. If I get into trouble for posting this pic, it’s all your fault!

Strutt
23-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Nice one crasher its all clear as day now.Taking the head out on tuesday, just waiting to get a spline socket for the head bolts.Have everything else stripped out.

Strutt
30-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Just got head back the other day, smashin job, I know you are probably sick and tired of replying to this thread but i was wondering, Should i replace the crankcase breather unit or just clean out the one i remove?Also should i buy my head gasket and head bolts from VW or is it ok to buy them from the local parts shop.

Crasher
30-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Replace the breather and buy the parts from GSF. The breather is a pig to fit but GSF sells a type (or did) that are easier to install.

Strutt
16-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Having a terrible job trying to find this breather unit.GSF claim they dont know what it is and they wouldn't do them.Volkswagen main dealer say that my chasis number is invalid and so they dont know which part to order in for me.GSF say that if i get the part number they might be able to get it for me.Any idea of a cost on this part???? I have been quoted 60 euros +Vat.

Not sure if it makes any odds but my chasis number is wvwzzz19zjw134769

Engine code is NH AKW although i was told it couldn't be, because the AKW gearbox code only matches up with a NZ engine.

16v mad
16-04-2008, 10:36 PM
[quote=Crasher;147227]Follow the 20-mm bore breather hose from the air filter down to the back of the block where you will find a dome and pipe sticking out of the block. These can be popped out with a long crow bar but refitting them requires a cap that goes over the top to allow them to be hammered back in, don’t be tempted to grind it down to make it fit or hit the top as this crushes them and pattern replacements from sources other than VW are a terrible fit. I bought my installation tool 25 years ago and I have no idea where to buy one now.

any decent enginering place will make one if you give the dimentions of yours crasher,i worked on dubs in 1988 - 1992 and did several of these breathers there a nightmare

Crasher
17-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Your engine code is MH (NH doesn’t exist) and the AKW box was used from 1/87 to 7/92 in the Golf 2. Your chassis number doesn’t come up, PM me your reg number. The VW part number of the breather is 036 103 129 and the GSF number is 01300 and costs £24.96 inc. VAT and the VW price is £25.57 inc. VAT. As I said, without the special tool you will probably wreck it trying to fit it. If I remember correctly, the GSF pattern part is slightly easier to fit but I only use genuine ones.

Strutt
17-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Reg No. is 88-D-4418.Its is an Irish car in Dublin.What is they advantage of fitting the main dealer one.

Crasher
18-04-2008, 09:22 AM
The VW part is better made and doesn’t tend to leak around the mating face which I have had with the GSF part. I can't help you on an Irish reg.

Strutt
24-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Got the breather unit yesterday from GSF 36 euro, Removed the old one and it doesn't seem to be blocked at all.Any ideas?????????

passman
24-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Strutt,
What size splined socket did you use for the cylinder head bolts?

Crasher
24-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Strutt, what was the original problem, I got lost along the way and can't be bothered to go back and read it all again.

Strutt
24-04-2008, 06:44 PM
I had brown gunk in the air filter housing and you suspected it was the breather unit. I removed the breather unit from the car and its perfect. The hoses are all clear as well.:confused:

Strutt
24-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Strutt,
What size splined socket did you use for the cylinder head bolts?

Not sure, Not working on the car until sat and its not at the house.Will let you know as soon as i find out.

Crasher
24-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Are the breather hoses soft?

Strutt
24-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Are the breather hoses soft?

Yeh the large hose(20mm) is soft and easily bent.

Crasher
24-04-2008, 10:31 PM
What can happen under acceleration load is that the hose collapses and this causes crankcase pressure which forces oil up the breather hose. That is one of the reasons that the plastic canister was added.

Strutt
24-04-2008, 10:43 PM
What can happen under acceleration load is that the hose collapses and this causes crankcase pressure which forces oil up the breather hose. That is one of the reasons that the plastic canister was added.

So i replace the hose and bobs your uncle.?????????????

Crasher
24-04-2008, 10:59 PM
In theory, unless you have an excessive crankcase pressure problem due to ring blow by.