PDA

View Full Version : A6 Dash playing up!!

dean warren
16-03-2008, 08:43 PM
hi all today while out in my 1994 A6 Avant 2.5 tdi AAT Engined car, the oil light and buzzer and water light and fuel light came on and the rev counter went off, i pulled over and checked the oil, which was fine, the water was a little low, and there was around 3/4 tank of fuel, i drove the car home, and after a while the buzzer went off again the lights went out and the rev counter jumped back to life, i have since road tested the car twice and the same thing happens every trip now, so i pluged vag com in, no faults in engine, no faults on anything!, been googleing, lots of other vag cars appear to point towards the alternator, but however i have just checked vag com again, and whenever i log into the abs the dash warning buzzes and the rev counter jumps back into life! any one have any ideas??

Crasher
16-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Get an oil pressure test done before anything else. No matter how much oil is in the sump, it makes no difference if it is not being pumped around or it is being pumped and there is a slack clearance losing the pressure. The AAT is notorious for oil pressure loss.

dean warren
19-03-2008, 11:26 PM
tested oil pressure it reads fine, but wouldn't you'd here the tappets rattle if it was oil pressure? any way this has played up for four days then yesterday, started the car problem has gone, and is still gone, would like to get to the bottom of it though, reading the forums, most diesel rev counter fail and oil light on seem to be alternator problems. any ideas welcomed.

Crasher
20-03-2008, 02:50 PM
When it comes to oil pressure I don’t play expensive guessing games, I test to make sure. The A6 dash is gaining a reputation for problems like this which can be caused by voltage fluctuations such as from a faulty alternator, flat battery or the use of jump leads/booster packs/boost starter chargers.