PDA

View Full Version : Buying an A6 2.7T Quattro (2001 X reg) Anything I should know? :)

nemeth782
15-03-2008, 05:58 PM
As the topic says, found an X reg A6 (which only pays £180 tax rather than the £460 a Y reg or later will be paying in 2009) with a low mileage (50k) and a full service history.

Is there anything I should be looking out for on these? Any common faults?

Are they cam belts or cam chains?

What can I expect MPG wise? Coming from a Bora TDi 130PS I know its going to be a big drop, but are we talking teens or twenties?

Never driven a decent petrol, do you have much of a turbo kick on these (compared to a diesel) or is it a little less impressive?

They are Biturbos.... is that one turbo per bank or a smaller turbo and a larger turbo?

The quattro system on the A6 is a Torsen diff and not a Haldex clutch right? Are these prone to failure?

Are the auto boxes in these the multitronic CVT model?

Finally, can anyone recommend a good LPG conversion that isn't going to harm the engine? How much am I looking at paying for the conversion itself?

Thanks in advance :)

buster
16-03-2008, 10:09 AM
As the topic says, found an X reg A6 (which only pays £180 tax rather than the £460 a Y reg or later will be paying in 2009) with a low mileage (50k) and a full service history.

Is there anything I should be looking out for on these? Any common faults?

Are they cam belts or cam chains?

What can I expect MPG wise? Coming from a Bora TDi 130PS I know its going to be a big drop, but are we talking teens or twenties?

Never driven a decent petrol, do you have much of a turbo kick on these (compared to a diesel) or is it a little less impressive?

They are Biturbos.... is that one turbo per bank or a smaller turbo and a larger turbo?

The quattro system on the A6 is a Torsen diff and not a Haldex clutch right? Are these prone to failure?

Are the auto boxes in these the multitronic CVT model?

Finally, can anyone recommend a good LPG conversion that isn't going to harm the engine? How much am I looking at paying for the conversion itself?

Thanks in advance :)

VED band is F unless registered after 23rd March 2006.

A few faults, have a search around.

Cam belts.

MPG depends on driving style. I get an average of around 26mpg when on petrol. Some on here get a lot more. 20mpg on LPG.

The turbo kick can scare you. These machines are awesome.

1 small turbo per bank.

I got Autotech in ripley to do my LPG conversion. Yoiu will be looking at around £1,800 plus vat.

Try the greenfuel site for a local conversion depot. The Greenfuel Company - Home (http://www.greenfuel.org.uk/)

They seemed ok to me, but be aware that converting these cars can give you problems.