PDA

View Full Version : dumpvalve problem

mikey87
15-03-2008, 08:21 AM
hello. this is my first ever post i've posted so here goes. i have a 2002 (51) audi a3 1.8t sport (150bhp) and i recently invested in a month old forge splitter dumpvalve (recirculating/atmospheric). it was originally on a seat leon cupra (180bhp i believe) n e ways, as i fitted it and turned the key to start the engine, on start up there was a noise.:confused: sounded like and air leak but it sounded as if where ever the air was leakin from, it was spinning round. sumtimes it would speed up slightly but nothing dramatic. n e ways, ignored it and blipped the throttle, hopin to hear the 'whooosh' from the dumpvalve and all i herd was a pathetic sound. :(taken the dumpvalve off straight away and replaced with the old bosch unit. if n e 1 knows on how i can get the dumpvalve to work properly, i would b greatly thankful.

Transporter13
15-03-2008, 09:02 PM
from what ive read, when you fit the splitter dv you have to fit it the opposite way round. sounds like this is true as from what youve said it seems that when you rev the engine it is just pushing straight out.

mikey87
18-03-2008, 09:40 AM
thanks 4 that. you were rite. i was tryin 2 put the thing on, the wrong way round.:o i bought it off ebay and was givin no instructions. i was told it was a direct replacement so assumed it was fitted on just like the standard unit. now its fitted though, i got another problem. its made my engine management light come on and i have no idea wot so eva. i've twisted the top of my dumpvalve so its set 2 make the 'whooosh' noise. could this b the problem?

mikey87
18-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Right, just been on the forge motorsport website and found the instructions for my product. it's answered all my questions. now my light is still on, theres 1 thing i want to know. Does the engine management light turn it self off if the problem is fixed???

audipersempre
19-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Nope, as far as I know you have to have the engine management light reset.

Check out all the info on VAG COM to find out how you could do it yourself otherwise it's a visit to a dealer with the necessary equipment or a kind soul in your area on this forum.

If you are within a reasonable distance of Stansted airport I can help you :D

revo_20vt
15-04-2008, 09:04 AM
If you set the D.V fully atmospheric it is going to make the car run rich = warning lights

mikey87
06-05-2008, 10:15 AM
sorry that its been a while since i last visited this thread, had a few internet problems. i've got the engine management light turned off and i've set the D.V to fully recirculating which wasnt what i wanted really as the reason i bought the D.V was to have the "whooosh" noise. i can adjust the dumpvalve so it's 50/50. only thing is, it makes the "whoosh" noise but not as i expected. could this b down to the fact that my car is only the 150bhp model and theres not enought psi from the turbo? the D.V was orginally off a leon cupra (180bhp) does the leon use a different turbo?

revo_20vt
06-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Hello mate, ive got mine set at around 50-50 on my 1.8t 150bhp, and it is not that loud but then I didn't buy it for the noise I bought it as an upgrade for the standard bosch one as they are known to fail, im getting my car REVO re-maped in the next 2weeks and that will take it to just under 200bhp (not to sure about torque) when its done I will let you no if its louder, also ive been reading about bleed valves for the turbo that are ment to let you control the boost, but im not to sure what they are like so im going to put a post out soon to see if any one is using one or has used one in the past and what performance gains you get. :biglaugh:

cooleo
18-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Interested in this, let us know when you have tried it.

dresvillage
29-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi mate, ive got a A3 1.8t (2000) and also had a similar queries as u, i bought a Forge FMDVSPLTR dump valve which could be used for dual or singular opperation on my engine, however I found the dump valve to be very quite, ive had my car chipped and remaped so its running about 190-200bhp and the dump vave is still quiet, ive seen a few other A3s and MK 4 Golf with dump valves which are extremely loud but ive noticed that they have been located in different areas of the engine bay. I am currenty running my dumpvalve as a full re-circ as advised by the company which chipped and re-mapped my car and i am having no problems at all, the dump valve is quiet but ive had no engine management lights and no problems. I also spoke to Forge Motorsport and they informed me that due to the set of the 1.8t engine it is diffucult to run a dump valve which is loud unless you re-locate the dump valve to another art of the engine bay. (Hope this helps)

cooleo
30-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Yer i went to local performance specialsit and they advised me against buying one. Basically not suited to the engine and to get a loud one would decrease power, not doing that just to get a whoosshh noise. Best bet would be to get a EDV around £150 anf fit one of those instead.

mikey87
02-07-2008, 05:14 PM
thanx alot for ya comment, dresvillage. much appriciated. if i can remember rightly, i've got an old max power magazine some where, where a chap with a mk4 golf gti relocated his dumpvalve, i assumed i was cause it was in the way of something but i thought wrong, it was so his car made the dumpvalve noise, i'll have 2 go through all me old mags and find out where and how he relocated it.

dresvillage
03-07-2008, 09:11 PM
No problem mate, i also remembered that when i spoke to Forge Motorsport they also recomended that fitting an induction kit of some sort (cold air feed or regular) will make the dump valve sound a bit louder. :beerchug:

cooleo
03-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Seems like a waste to me, but then again its only a opinion.

mrleeS3
06-08-2008, 02:13 PM
could this 'running rich' due to dump valve be the reason mines playing up?

was fine on the old plastic bosch one... fitted the forge & bearly made it back to work :zx11:

mikey87
06-08-2008, 07:16 PM
is it a splitter dump valve? wen i had mine on and set it to atmospheric, it bought my engine management light on. wen the light was on, the car drove fine, just didnt seem 2 have that turbo push wen i put my footdown. what was your car doin comin home from work??

mrleeS3
06-08-2008, 07:29 PM
left it there to be safe! going to take the placcy dump valve in 2moro & refit at lunch, only 2mins work... if its not that, i'll check the ignition coils [those caused massive headaches b4] ... if not :confused:/ :crying:

Forge UK
22-08-2008, 03:46 PM
any probs please call