PDA

View Full Version : rear pads & discs

davidlandy
27-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Got an A4 52 plate tdi 130 sport

it looks like it needs some new rear pads and the discs have quite a lip on them so i thought i might do those as well

2 questions :

1. how easy?

2. wheres the cheapest place to get the bits (anywhere on line?)

thanks

Mike Allen
01-12-2006, 03:39 AM
I recently changed pads and discs on an A4 tdi130, well to be more accurate a mechanic mate did (but i helped). On the rear we found it easier to remove the bottom shock bolt, to allow easier access to the caliper bolts, apart from that it was a cinch. I also made sure the discs and mating hub surfaces were scupulously clean before we reassembled.

As for best price, I check out Eurocarparts and GSF (both got websites) and rang round a couple of local factors.

Regards Mike.

RickT
23-12-2006, 01:38 AM
you just need a tool to "SCREW" back the piston when you insert new pads...

Ones on the front you just push the piston rod back in when some heavy duty grips and then on the rear insert the tool on the pistion contact pad and screw them back until they stop..

Then pull on the handbrake until you feel it bites and stop... this auto adjusts the rear pads.

The tool for example is this..
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732)

Im sure if you search ebay you will pick one up cheap.

OR
You can make one using an old socket ,you just have to cut socket with a hacksaw leaving two peg's that fit the piston.Then use a ratchet and extension to screw the piston back.

Cheers

RickT

dutchy
02-09-2007, 05:21 PM
A simpler option and less expensive is... undo the bleed nipple and squeeze back the brake calliper piston using either hand pressure or use a 'G' cramp. Goodness knows who needs to pay £20.00ish for something you dont need

garrypcurtis
04-09-2007, 09:32 PM
I have an Audi A4 Avante SE 2004 2.0 FSI. The break pad worning light come on a few times the other week. Now it is on the whole time, I have looked at he front pads and they look fine, the rear have about 5-6mm on them. Do the rear have sensors. Any suggestions. Audi have recommended a diagnostics test prior to replacing pads. ? Any advice
thanks Garry