PDA

View Full Version : Which Immobilizer on 1996 Golf and corresponding key ??

vr6hp
06-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I've got a question related to the Euro Golf 3!
I've got a 1996 Golf VR6 and was wondering which Immobilizer comes with these models?

In other words, I need to buy a spare key and program it to my immobilizer but I donno which one (part#?) and where to buy it from!

10x for your help
Cheers :beerchug:

stuart
06-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I've got a question related to the Euro Golf 3!
I've got a 1996 Golf VR6 and was wondering which Immobilizer comes with these models?

In other words, I need to buy a spare key and program it to my immobilizer but I donno which one (part#?) and where to buy it from!

10x for your help

Hi

Thanks for joining the site.

If you require a "new" or "additional" key, I belive you will need to visit your local Volkswagen dealer. All "blank" keys I belive are the same, and need to be coded to match your vehicle.

Dealers have a machine which copies the exsiting settings from your original key, then copies them to the new one.

If you have VAG-COM you can do this yourself, but I think you need to be very competant. Details can be found here:-

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/index.html

Just scroll down the page.

Stuart

vr6hp
07-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Hi,

10x for your fast reply. I know about vag (order is on the way) and how to match the keys. I'm gonna get the skc from the dealer, but I wanna avoid letting the dealer do the programming for me.
Well if you want, you can put my question that way, I know there are Immo2 and Immo3 (I donno about Immo1). The keys with the transponder for Immo3 (golf 4 for example) CANNOT be matched to Immo2. Is this true?
If not, then can I get any key (any switchblade key for golf 4) and match it to my golf 3?

PS. From the ross-tech website, they don't have any info about golf 3 because the US Golf3 versions didn't have an Immo. My car is a Euro one and has an immobilizer, so which version is it ?!

stuart
07-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi

Not managed to find out much more on this subject from my specilaist collegue, all he can tell me is, that if you order a replacement key from a VAG dealer, this would be ordered for the vehicle details given, so the actual immobilizer type, make no real difference.

The blank is then coded to match the car.

Thanks for posting this question.

Stuart

vr6hp
07-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi,

I doubt that it has nothing to do with the Immobilizer because the key has to communicate with it. Your friend is right that they get it depending on the vehicle data, but all golf 3 use the same key, and golf 4 use another. I am just making theories here and trying to build some logic.

I will keep looking for a definite answer, when I get something I will get back to you on this.

stuart
07-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi,

I doubt that it has nothing to do with the Immobilizer because the key has to communicate with it. Your friend is right that they get it depending on the vehicle data, but all golf 3 use the same key, and golf 4 use another. I am just making theories here and trying to build some logic.

I will keep looking for a definite answer, when I get something I will get back to you on this.

Please do keep me informed, I would be interested to hear your findings;)

Stuart

vr6hp
08-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Please do keep me informed, I would be interested to hear your findings;)

Stuart

The Euro Mk3 came with Immo-1 and the keys for that Immo are:
6N0 837 219 (Main Key without Light and with fixed code immo-transponder)
1H0 837 219 A (Main Key with Light and with fixed code immo-transponder)

Only these keys can be matched to that Immobilizer
I got this info from "Theresias" in another forum

Everyday you learn something new ;)
Cheers
:beerchug: