PDA

View Full Version : power loss on 84 poloc when driving at speed whilst changing gear.

sumsoy
14-03-2008, 11:59 AM
hi everyone,

we need a few ideas why we keep getting the above problem.
about a month ago i was zooming off up the duel carriageway to join m4.i felt a pulling (almost little coughing fit) from the polo as i accelerated.
my first thought was muck in the fuel lines.think we were right as when we finally reached home that night after being in a traffic jam for 3 hours coming home the fuel filter was full of rusty particles and crap.
we cleaned all the lines,carb(webber conversion) changed air and fuel filters.
she ran lovely for a while then 2 weeks ago we had another episode.loss of power and cut out whilst accelerating from 3rd to 4th and cut out.
we cleaned the carb out thoroughly and saw the trumpet (air intake ) of the carb had its vents closed (blocked) so sorted all that out.
we have also changed the timing belt and fitted new water pump and fuel pump.
it has improved but yesterday took her out for good drive to check situation and it had one of its 'coughing moments' upon acceleration again!
luckily i had the opportunity to indicate and pull into petrol station.as i did so it then had power surge (foot still on accelerator as i had been trying to recover her from cutting out in traffic)i commenced my journey and went up m4/a4 to hounslow to test it out and we had no other problems for remainder of the day.

any ideas you guys?
would value any clues so can get it fixed asap.
nb bought new leads,dist cap and rotar arm yest. plan to change them today.
i love my polo and need to sort this prob out asap as its so annoying

g40jon
15-03-2008, 09:23 AM
ive been having similar probs with my polo gt, been checking all kinds of things. i tried filling up at a different petrol station to the one i normally use and its been fine since, might be worth a try in your case?
Also how old is you fuel tank? the are notorious for rusting around the filler neck, this can result in crud getting into the tank