PDA

View Full Version : 1999 transporter 1.9tdi - OIL problems

sippy
14-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Hi,
am new to VW's and forum......
I changed the oil/filters in a freinds transporter and the world WAS a happy place.........
Till the oil light came on, then the warning beeeps so we pulled in to check the dipstick, for oil leaks ect.
Engine oil level after 10mins draintime was where I left it, topped up the coolant (slight leak on the coolant lines into the filter/oil pump houseing).
Fired up and drove off...... 2 miles down the road the lights and beeps go off.
Vans done 117,741 miles and i know of some localy that have done in excess of 200k with little regular service.
My guesses are:
1: wrong grade of oil, leading to thinning or boiling - its running 10/40 turbo grade (and it wasnt cheap),something thicker maybe?
2: the leak on the coolant hose going into the filter/oil pump housing is the cause because its cooling the oil at this point..... or not well enough with the leak (more of a weep than the former)?
3:Or the oil light and beeps are not only linked to the engine...... but to the gearbox as well? there is a slight leak from the drivers side output which I realy dont want to get embroiled in further than telling the owner/topping it up.
answers on a postcard