PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 temp gauge

TomPetrilli
27-11-2006, 03:33 PM
I have an Audi A4 (T reg, 98k miles, 1.8 petrol engine), absolute pleasure to drive but just one small concern I have - the temperature gauge very rarely works.

Occasionally it will show a temperature but normally sits below the 60 mark - I know the engine is warming up as heater works ok and I am driving 30+ miles per trip.

I'm guessing this won't be cheap to repair/replace; I'm not too bothered about it not working as long as the temperature warning light is on a separate sensor - ie. If the engine overheats will I still get the warning light despite the temperature gauge not showing anything?

Am I ok to not be bothered about fixing it? Is the warning light part of a different circuit? Or is there a cheap DIY way of fixing it?

Many thanks,
Tom.

onzarob
27-11-2006, 06:18 PM
The tempeture sensor is a dual item, 1 half to the das and one half to the ecu, its is a common problem and a new sensor can cure it around £15 for an oem part,£30 from dealer.

Sometime the dash itself is to blame and that is much more expensive £500 from dealer or around £200 to get yours fixed.

I would change the sensor as the ecu uses it to control mixture etc and if its on the way out it can cause poor economy/starting.

Hope this helps

Rob:D

TomPetrilli
28-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the advice - I now assume the ECU bit works as last night the fan came on briefly while I was stuck in traffic. When I get time I will try replacing the sensor though for £200+ I won't worry about the dash reading.

Regards,
Tom

onzarob
28-11-2006, 01:53 PM
If you get thefault codes read, it will tell you if it's the instrument cluster or the ecu or both have tempeture problems.

Mine does the same an gave this code, instrument side.

Sunday, 15 October 2006, 10:24:22
VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Control Module Part Number: 8D0 919 930 M
Component and/or Version: B5-KOMBIINSTR. VDO D15
Software Coding: 05440
Work Shop Code: WSC 00386
Additional Info: IMMO-IDENTNR: AUZ7Z0X0881006
1 Fault Found:
01039 - Coolant Temperature Sensor (G2)
30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used a £20 cable from ebay and the freeware version of Vag-Com.

Rob:D

madfella65
18-01-2007, 01:46 AM
onzarob- how did you know which cable to buy - or does anyone else know which version of vag-com and cable is needed for 03 reg a4?

onzarob
18-01-2007, 11:35 AM
First look at www.ross-tech.com (http://www.ross-tech.com) they are the writers of VAG-COM. I then used there freeware version 409.1, lets you read the codes. I then search for a cable on ebay, load of sellers. I have a USB one, but i bought it from a UK seller. lots of chinese ones!!!

You could also look here if you want to use a proper company.

http://www.gendan.co.uk/vag_diagnostics.php

Hope this helps

Rob:biglaugh: