PDA

View Full Version : Engine temp.

barryG
13-03-2008, 11:09 PM
My 2.0 Passat only runs up to around 70 degres, in traffic it goes up to 90, oil temp is similar. The heater is working fine, very warm but does this mean I need a new thermostat? Thanks.

HorseOffaGypsy
12-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Had exactly the same problem in mine 2.0 (2E) Passat. Replaced the thermostat and hey presto, running at 90-100C, engine smoother and MPG up. Lived with the problem for months and kicked myself for not doing it sooner - cost £7 for a thermostat (and a few quid more for some antifreeze!)

If yours is like mine, the thermostat is buried under the PAS pump, so its a bit of a devil to get at, but its not difficult. (Mr Haynes doesn't tell you how to do it but its only a few bolts and it swings out of the way!)

After I finished, I tested the thermostat which was only open a few millimeters at most only to find that it opened at the correct temp, and more importantly closed all the way when cooled down. Reckon it simply got stuck and by physically moving it got it to move correctly once more. (But for £7 a new one seems like the best bet!!)