PDA

View Full Version : 1994 VW Polo Oil?

Mitch69
13-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I've checked the Manual and dont understand which oil is to be used in my 94 Petrol Polo Coupe.
It says it depends on the temperature at which the car runs. I dont know that temperature!
Anyone help? Can I just chuck any synthetic Petrol engine oil in there?

Also, this car sometimes cuts out in the mornings. Is this battery related or is it just to do with the cold?

It works fine after about 10mins driving or if the weather is nice.

Any feedback would be brilliant

petrolhead
13-03-2008, 07:30 PM
not sure on the oil, like it says, depends on the temp. ask your local main VW dealer, they will be able to tell you from your reg plate.

With regards to the cutting out, with it only being when its cold, i would assume that it is something to do with the automatic choke...these can sometimes stick and do not operate properly, again, i would recommend a garage to look at this!

Mitch69
14-03-2008, 04:45 AM
Cheers, I just had the clutch cable done, a garage told me to get some oil cuz the oil lights on for about the first 10 mins of a drive. checked the oil and it doesnt need topping up. Thinking it could be something more serious.
The brake light and the water light keep coming on too but the brakes are all good and the coolant is topped up. Is this a normal problem with theis model and year? Engine seems to be ruuning fine apart from cold mornings!!

g40jon
14-03-2008, 11:42 AM
10w 40 will do, go to halfords and they list the different types you can use, then go off and buy it from whoever is cheapest!
the brake light thing, does your handbrake lever spring back up when released? if so you may find the cable needs tightening

Mitch69
14-03-2008, 12:03 PM
10w 40 will do, go to halfords and they list the different types you can use, then go off and buy it from whoever is cheapest!
the brake light thing, does your handbrake lever spring back up when released? if so you may find the cable needs tightening

Hiya, cheers for the reply. I bought some 10w40 for when it does need topping up. Why would the light be on for the oil if it's already full?

The handbrake doesnt spring back up but I might tighten/change the cable to try and get the light off. I've noticed it flashes on and off If I move the handbrake around.

g40jon
15-03-2008, 09:24 AM
yeah it'll need tightening if it flashes when you move it a little.
the only other thing that would cause the warning light to come on is if the brake fluid is low

Mitch69
15-03-2008, 11:19 AM
K, cheers again mate. I'll top up the brake fluid and tighten the handbrake cable. If that doesnt sort it, I'm buying a push bike.