PDA

View Full Version : Hi all - First question, radio codes

d@ve
26-11-2006, 06:01 PM
:1zhelp:

I've just purchased a 52 Golf GT TDi 130, but i can't find the radio code anywhere, the radio is fine but in anticipation that one day I will need the code, how can I get hold of it.

:beerchug:

loupee
26-11-2006, 08:37 PM
I think i have got mine in my paperwork i got with car, but if not you can get it from VW free of charge.

d@ve
27-11-2006, 12:51 AM
I think i have got mine in my paperwork i got with car, but if not you can get it from VW free of charge.

Blimey free of charge, thats rare :p

What do VW need before they will give me the code?

adamss24
27-11-2006, 10:11 AM
They need to pull out your radio off the dashboard and they will input the radio's serial number into their computer and then they will give you the code. Dont know if its allways free but its wise to ask first !

d@ve
15-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks, i'll have a look :beerchug:

Eshrules
15-12-2006, 01:12 PM
VW do this for free? i've never heard of that before! i need the code for mine, i've just fitted an aftermarket unit and obviously need the code before i can sell it on etc.

loupee
15-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Well in my manual on the radio page there is a little business card type card that you pull out oand on that it says if you lose radio code they will give it you for free. Thats where i got it from.

ladsleap
19-12-2006, 09:23 PM
I know for a fact that if you disconnect the battery or remove the radio on a Mk4 Golf that you do not lose the codes. I have experience of having done this many times.

adamss24
19-12-2006, 10:22 PM
I know for a fact that if you disconnect the battery or remove the radio on a Mk4 Golf that you do not lose the codes. I have experience of having done this many times.
Newer cars have what is called smart radio code. If you keep the stereo in the same car= no issues if you disconect the battery but, if you swap the stereo into another car or the internal back-up battery depletes, then is another problem !

Eshrules
20-12-2006, 10:13 AM
i agree with adams :) i took the head unit out of my golf to install an aftermarket, didnt realise you needed the changer control of the unit to eject the cds etc, put the head unit back in and it asked for a code....so yes, they do need codes.

derrynic
14-03-2007, 08:57 PM
hi, i was wondering if you had any tips on how to get the radio out of the dash carefully, i.e. what to use to get it out etc. any help would be much appreciated. cheers!