PDA

View Full Version : Smokes from blower

LaurasG
12-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Hello. I have strange problem. My blower blows only on 3 (chip problem on fan, as i know) and then it blows cold air its ok, but as soon as i turn hot air smokes start coming... Any ideas what can cause this problem? Car wasn't started for about 3 months then i got it...

passat>sport
12-03-2008, 07:12 PM
More than likely a pin ***** hole in the heater matrix due to it going rusty over the last 3 months.

Is the carpet wet at all.

LaurasG
12-03-2008, 08:29 PM
More than likely a pin ***** hole in the heater matrix due to it going rusty over the last 3 months.

Is the carpet wet at all.

well, carpet is very wet (even don't know how to dry it) but not behind front seats, its right behind front passenger seat, and i can't imagine there did that came from... and by saying heater do you mean the radiator in the fron of the car?

and thank you very much for help :)

P.S. when i turn hot air, windows get steamed very fast and then cold air cant get it of even if it blows for an hour or so, only hard rubing with cloth clean it.

passat>sport
12-03-2008, 09:51 PM
The radiator behind the dashboard/centre console is leaking.

It needs replacing.

LaurasG
12-03-2008, 10:34 PM
The radiator behind the dashboard/centre console is leaking.

It needs replacing.

is it hard to reach it and do i have to remove all coolant before replacing it?

abell21
20-10-2008, 03:31 PM
replace the blower, there's another post here telling you how to go about doing that, but the water is from the cold air inlet, it's under the cheap plactic 'drip-tray' under the washer jets, there is a foam gasket that leaks like a mad thing, especially when the car has been parked up and it's nose is facing slightly uphill, then the water runs into the car through the fan and will destroy it, it's not your heater matrix at all. i'm telling you you'd know if it were it!

passat>sport
20-10-2008, 06:09 PM
but as soon as i turn hot air smokes start coming...

adell21 I think she means steam

this is over 6 months old btw, i'm guessing she's had it fixed by now or sold the car :beerchug:

LaurasG
21-10-2008, 08:44 PM
yep i had my heater replaced and changed thermofuse so it blows now on 1,2 and 3 :) and i didn't sell it, i still like this car, just it needs some love and investment :) well and maybe new, more powerful engine.... :D

abell21
21-10-2008, 10:22 PM
fair one. lol guess it woulda helped me readin it properly :p

i recently got a mk 2, it's only a 1.3 but i love it! i got given it by my uncle's gf she was gonna scrap it! jus rebuilt the engine an fixed the bdy up a bit, nothin special like, jus nice. then i had this desperate bleedin puddle in the rear passenger footwell, it drove me nuts tryin to find the cause of it... all cause of the wee foam gasket under the plastic tray! whose idea was it anyway??? lol. still wouldn trade it for the world! keeps me entertained anyway.:biglaugh:

Smutts
11-11-2008, 10:43 PM
The other classic leak is water through the inside door membrames, bodge with fertilizer sacks and hot melt glue gun.:p Do GSF sell a fix?:confused:

abell21
12-11-2008, 07:56 PM
actually i had this problem too... the passenger window winder died at some point, and was replaced by a chancer... the membrane was jus ripped off the door and left hanging behind the card allowing the water to run in. i fixed it with the old membrane which was in reasonable nick, and tacked it back on using industrial double sided tape that they use for putting number plates on cars. it worked a treat!