PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacers

Space Cadet
12-03-2008, 10:55 AM
I have a 3.2Q S-line (with standard S-line suspension) and was toying with the idea of getting some wheel spacers, probably only 10mm just to push the wheels out a little, the RS4’s wheels are virtually level with the wheel arches and look great for it and I would like this look for my A3.

Has anyone else fitted spacers? – any side effects?

If only using 10mm spacers could I keep the standard nuts, or would I need to fit longer bolts?

SEMKY
15-03-2008, 04:39 AM
Hi There,

My personal opinion of spacers is that they affect the offset of the wheels effectively, and hence the suspension geometry, and hence the handling CAN suffer...

But DEFINITELY use longer studs/appropriate bolts....this would be crucial for safety!!! The additional stress on the standard length could be very dangerous! IMHO anyway

:beerchug:

adamss24
15-03-2008, 08:55 AM
I have a 3.2Q S-line (with standard S-line suspension) and was toying with the idea of getting some wheel spacers, probably only 10mm just to push the wheels out a little, the RS4’s wheels are virtually level with the wheel arches and look great for it and I would like this look for my A3.

Has anyone else fitted spacers? – any side effects?

If only using 10mm spacers could I keep the standard nuts, or would I need to fit longer bolts?
10mm wont make much difference...audi wheels came in different offsets anyway so, if you keep between 35 and 45 offset, they fit without problems. Whe fitting thicker spacers, you do change/increase the load on the hub/bearings. Mae shure the spacers you fit are hubcentric and you will need longer bolts, usually they came with the kit.

Space Cadet
17-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys.

I’ll likely be upgrading the discs and pads soon so will have the spacers put on properly with longer bolts.

I wondered if it was just a case of being able to put the spacers on myself but if I need longer bolts I’ll get the garage to do it at the same time as the discs.

Thanks again.