PDA

View Full Version : Jetta 2006 transmission problem (Egypt)

Ahmed Kamal
12-03-2008, 08:42 AM
:1zhelp:

1. During the first 10,000 KM, I noticed a change in the vehicle performance. Simply, the acceleration is less than what I have experienced before. In addition, I began to notice hard shifting & hesitation at lower gear shifts and Poor Vehicle Performance. Specifically between the 1-2 & 2-3 upshifts. Sometimes I feel and hear something like clattering or slamming with shifting from 1-2.

2. In addition, I noticed that the car does not respond promptly to sudden acceleration. It takes some time to shift down. When that happens, the engine sound is abnormally high and there is no actual acceleration response. In other words, the engine RPM is increasing without transmitting this power to axels.

3. Additionally, sometimes while pressing the fuel pedal to gain rapid acceleration the car becomes hesitating and starts to hunt until it selects the proper shift then it starts to accelerate. Even though, the acceleration is not proportional to the noise coming out from the engine.

4. All these notes were explained to the service center engineers during the second scheduled maintenance (15000 KM). Simply, they did nothing.:mad:

5. During the third scheduled maintenance (25000 KM) that was on 03rd Nov 07, I explained clearly again my problems to the reception engineer and stressed that I am afraid that there might be something wrong with transmission. He assured that they would take a good care of this problem specially that this is the second time to have the same compliant.

6. At the end of the day, I was advised by the maintenance staff that they resolved the transmission issue by resting the computer learning data. Meanwhile, they finished the routine maintenance and the car is ready to be picked up. When I started to drive my car out of the service center, I found that the transmission is performing worse than before, (Harsh 1-2 Upshift & Harsh 2-3 Upshift) and the average fuel consumption had increased.

7. Maintenance staff recently changed the Valve Body as an initial solution to resolve the problem. Unfortunately, after only one week of changing the valve body a similar problem appeared again. It looks like slipping or improper clutching is taking place within the transmission specifically around the 3rd shift.

8. Now they say we can not see a problem with transmission after 6 days of keeping the car at the workshop for investigation.

I do not know what to do. can anyone advise?:confused::zx11:

schatten
24-03-2008, 03:53 PM
I don’t want to be pessimistic regarding your problem but am also from Egypt but having an old Jetta, whenever I experience or get confused about anything in my car I usually return to VW company through phone or make my cousin who lives abroad connects me with them anyway the best thing to do is to send an email or contact VW explain the problem and arouse things up & believe me everything will be solved even if they had to change the Gear Box :)

Ahmed Kamal
25-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Thank you for your advice. In fact, when I contacted the after sales Manger he took a prompt action and helped me a lot by ask the Technical Workshop Manager to help me. He was also very helpful and decided to change the transmission in due time. Frankly speaking, these two gentlemen did a great job. I just hope now that the problem is resolved.

schatten
25-03-2008, 11:01 AM
this is gr8 news after all ....... good luck and now am sure things will go fine :)

Ahmed Kamal
17-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Again, the problem is raised. Loss of power and high fuel consumption. Low acceleration & limited max speed.:mad:

It seems that there is no way with this car. I think i have to get rid of it and by a different brand, which has more quality control and reliability.

autodoc
03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
hello ahmed did it sounds like you need to have your throttle body reset back to the basic settings to get rid of the loss of power. it might even be as simple as the coolant temperature sensor needs replacing.it might not actually be your transmission at all because in cases of extreme temperatures the transmission will behave quite irratic if the engine temp is a bit excessive. then again it could be the clutches in the transmission slipping or the ecu needs updating the software.

Ahmed Kamal
04-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Thank you so much for the advice. I will try to do so ASAP. but i have a question if you do not mind. Do you think that the temprature sensor in the transmission may result in similar behavior? Thank you. :Blush:

autodoc
05-10-2009, 06:23 PM
yes it could, but due to the fact that the transmission fluid is cooled by the water passing through the engine and transmission oil cooler the ect sensor is what monitors the overall temperature of the engine and if this component is not giving constant readings to the engine ecu then this will also cause the vehicle to behave in a similar fashion. have you had a diagnostic scan done? if so post the fault codes so that I can have a better understanding of what's going on. as normally by my understanding if your automatic gearbox fails then it's about 90% mechanical fault inside the auto gearbox I.e. clutches slipping,filter blocked,oil level low,torque converter lockup clutch failure ect. the other 10% can be electrical so before we start comming to premature conclusions let's do a complete scan of the vehicle and let us know :approve:

autodoc
05-10-2009, 06:25 PM
have you ever replaced your air mass meter/sensor?

Ahmed Kamal
11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi, it has been long time since our last communications. I was trying to live with it it seems that i could not. Attached is the diagnostic log. Tomorrow I will go to a workshop and change the coolant temp sensor, the air mass sensor during the 60,000 km routine maintenance. Do you recommend anything else to be done? Thank you so much for the help .:)

autodoc
19-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi kamal sorry that it has been so long for me to get back to you but i was quite busy how did it go in the end? i hope you finally got the problem sorted:approve:

Ahmed Kamal
22-03-2010, 08:30 PM
First, I really appreciate your concern and advices. in fact, I tried to do what you told earlier but the technician was resisting my suggestions. anyway, he cleaned the mass flow meter and asked me to test the performance after making the 60,000 routine maintenance. It was the same. then I asked him to fully rest the ECU, after which the car went great for 1-2 days, then it retuned back to the same low performance of high fuel consumption and slow response to acceleration with limited max speeds. I fully agree with you that that the problem is not with transmission and it is obviously with the signals going into the ECU that build a wrong mapping. Do you suggest anything in this regard? by the way we made a temporary change of the fuel pump to check if it was contributing to the problem but it was not.

autodoc
23-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Hi ahmed your scan looks exceptionally healthy because you've got no faults present in the system. so most likely you might be having a mechanical malfunction,ie transmission internal failure. I didn't see the scan for the transmission control module though.

autodoc
23-03-2010, 07:27 AM
mapping, well in terms of that it really sounds like you need to start getting your sleeves rolled up by getting a registered vcds lead and then download some remapping files from the ross tech website for your vehicle or you could try taking it back to the dealer to have it done.me personally i would have a go at it myself :D but i still cant afford the registered vcds lead yet.you need to have an idea though if you are going to get stuck in. so my advise is to let someone who know's how to do it proffessionally do it for you, as you can corrupt the ecu if the procedure is not done properly.