PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk 4 - Water in Rear Foot Well

Bectism
26-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Hello - I have water gathering in the rear driver side and rear passenger side foot wells of my 1999 Golf. Its appearance has coincided with a period of heavy rain, but I can't find any obvious signs of leaky door seals or floor plugs. I've seen a couple of mentions of blocked/faulty pollen filters that can lead to water gathering in the foot wells, but are there any simple solutions that I might try before taking it to a garage? Thank you!

Boardboy
26-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi Bectism Have you got a sunroof and is it a four door model?
If you have a sunroof check the drains. They exit in the door shut between the hinges. It is a small rubber outlet that sticks out from the body skin. You can poke something very gently inside to see if it's clear. You can also pour a small amount of water around the sunroof and with the door open see if it exits out of the rubber outlet. It might take about 30 secs before it appears.
Another thing to try is get someone outside with a hose to go over the car whilist you look inside. I don't know if a MK IV is the same as earlier models but behind the door inner trim is a membrane that gets brittle and splits with age. Water runs down the glass in to the door and gets in through the damaged membrane.
Hope this helps you find it.
Regards Boardboy

paulb
26-11-2006, 07:21 PM
mk4 golfs leak water between the door and the bolted on window regulator seals perish,remove door panels and water test if it leaks in loosen and remove window carrier and reseal with silicone seallant.

Bectism
26-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Hi Boardboy - thanks for this. Yes, it's a four-door with a sunroof. I've cleared the outlet, so fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice.

Wac1000
30-11-2006, 02:27 PM
I had the same problem last weekend after heavy rain. The rain was coming in and running down behind the dash soaking the electrics. It has been drying out in the garage all week, but still can't start it... :zx11: