PDA

View Full Version : Poor Radio Reception

gajjii
11-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi there, sorry that my first post is a cry for help.

I've got a 2000 (so Audi tell me) model A3 1.9TDI 110 (4 door) built Nov 99 so its pre face lift (just).

The radio reception is pretty poor. After searching for an answer (on here and other places) I've come to the conclusion its either an aerial amplifier problem or some 'diversity' thingy.

1. Can I tell by looking at the aerial if its amplified? There is a blue wire from the concert HU, so I'm assuming it is. Is there any way to test the amplifier?

2. Where exactly is the diversity thingy, has been suggested its on top of the Sub. The CD changer is on top of the Sub! Found a coax cable forward of the Sub that doesn't connect to anything, whats that for? :confused:

3. The car is wired for the Cullmann mobile adapter, if this is faulty (no ancient mobile or adapter :mad: to test it with) would it affect the aerial amplifier?

Thanks for any help.

beachy
18-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi,

Do you have a standard Audi head unit or have you got a retro fit one ie sony, kenwood etc?

gajjii
19-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Standard Concert head unit.

beachy
19-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Ok its not what I originally thought it could be but my second guess would be that the amplifier on the base of the aerial is broken.

As far as I am aware the amplification occurs before the head unit so it is unlikely to the head unit.

Have you unscrewed the aerial and put some wd40 on the thread to get good connectivity?