PDA

View Full Version : A4 TDI SE 170 - Advice

craiby
11-03-2008, 11:15 PM
I recently changed from a 2.0 Alfa 156 JTS to a A4 TDI SE 170 (56 plate). I have noticed a few differences in performance/drive and wonder if I should have stuck with a petrol engine rather than a diesel. This is my first diesel...

The suspension feels a little bouncy on A Class roads but is smooth on motorways.
The gear change seems crunchy through all the gears and not as smooth as I would have expected.
The acceleration is great after about 10 meters which doesn't help pulling away from junctions quickly. If I accelerate too hard the traction control kicks in and the yellow lights flash.The car drives ok, but I'm wondering if it's just the change of car or is there something I should be worrying about with the gears etc.

Have driven the 2.0T petrol version and it seems a lot smoother....

Grateful for any advice or assistance, thanks.

JohnH
13-03-2008, 01:20 AM
I have an '07 170 TDi SE Avant and what you describe seems about right, the gearchange is not the best (or worst) I've driven and the suspension whilst better than some is shamed by a humble Mondeo.

On the driving characteristics, it's rev related, I found when I first had it that it was easy to stall, it seems to have very little torque below 1600rpm and so you need a few revs to 'take off' smoothly. It might also be a dual-mass flywheel - certainly other diesels I've driven will happily pull from very low revs but this one won't.

This manifests itself in a changed driving style, whereas in other cars I'd stay in second at junctions / roundabouts where I haven't come to a halt, in the 170 I often select first to prevent a stall and ensure a quicker getaway - not great but I'm used to it now.

gtrevor
13-03-2008, 10:13 PM
The acceleration is great after about 10 meters which doesn't help pulling away from junctions quickly. If I accelerate too hard the traction control kicks in and the yellow lights flash.Have driven the 2.0T petrol version and it seems a lot smoother....

Give it a while to get used to the car / engine ... driving a diesel to its best advantage is very different to driving a petrol .. it took me a while to learn to change gear earlier to keep in the peak torque curve .. also need slightly more revs so that you are closer to the turbo's kicking in if you want to pull off quickly, but then get into second quicker to avoid too quickly losing power/torque and just making the traction control kick in...

Alternatively, get the quattro version - the grip off the line is amazing :D

craiby
25-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for your replies they have been very helpful. I took my car to an Audi dealership and its been booked in to have recall work done on it ?????

shaziman
30-03-2008, 09:01 PM
The suspension feels a little bouncy on A Class roads but is smooth on motorways.Will do with the SE, its relativley hard in the S-Line.

The gear change seems crunchy through all the gears and not as smooth as I would have expected.VW Gearbox, quick but notchy.

The acceleration is great after about 10 meters which doesn't help pulling away from junctions quickly. If I accelerate too hard the traction control kicks in and the yellow lights flash.Taking up the initial teeny weeny bit of lag in the variable vanes of the turbo.

I had a 156 JTD 2.4. Worst car i ever owned for relablilty, but for thrills was superb.

Stick with the Audi, takes a bit of getting used to when you get out of a 156, but its good!