PDA

View Full Version : Audi Avant 90 to 110bhp engine swap

mikethebike
26-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi all, I need your help, I own a 1996 ('P' plate) Audi Avant 1.9tdi (90bhp) engine no AHU054205. The car has covered 300,000 miles of which I have done 250,000 (hasn't missed a service) as I use it for work, my problem is the turbo has blown, not surprisingly, and I dont want to get rid of her as the body and running gear are perfect. My question is can a 110bhp engine fit into this year and model and which engine code would I need to use, I have been told there is some problem with an internal/external map sensor? is this correct? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

adamss24
26-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Why dont replace just the turbocharger if you happy with the overall condition of the car ? If you decide to go on the transplant route, you will need the keys/immo/ecu from the donor car or you could have your ones programmed to suit the engine but if the engine is newer you WILL need the wiring loom/ECU and dash clocks so the engine display all the functions corectlly. The 110 Bhp engine is AFN and there is a MAP sensor that i think is situated inside the ECU but i might be wrong as somme models had an external mapp sensor so you will need to transplant the corect ECU for the engine.

mikethebike
26-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the help, I just thought if I'm going to replace the engine anyway I might as well have a little gain in power as well, the turbo blades dissintergrated and I don't know whats got into the engine, also don't you think 300,000 miles is pushing it a bit for any engine?, are you saying I should just go for a straight exchange or am I going to have to have exactly the right 90bhp engine (exact year etc). Thanks again.

adamss24
26-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Diesel engines are built to outlast petrol engines and the vw/audi engines are built to last over 15000 hours and that equates with over 1000000 miles. Of course the suspension and the rest of the car wont last that long but i have seen engines with over 270-300 k and the cross-hatching on the piston bores was still visible. Vw said once that if an engine will be serviced as per book should last over 1350000 miles before needing an overhaul. There are cars in europe and USA that are well over the 500k mark and the Guiness Book record is a volvo with over 1 million miles and still going strong. What i said is easier either way as the engines will bolt on and there is not much difference between them:different nozzles and higher pressure pump/lower compression and more agressive fuelling maps. I will go for a 110 Bhp engine but its easy to get it complete with ecu/clocks/keys as they will cost a fair bit to have them recoded to the new engine. Hope this helps.

mikethebike
26-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all your help and advice, after reading about the reliability I think I'm going to swap the turbo and see how she goes. Thanks again