PDA

View Full Version : hello all, i need your help!!!

firetrap90210
26-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Hi all,

first post on here after searching the net for help with my vw transporter. im hoping someone out there will possibly be able to help me out with a problem i have!?
i have owned the L reg transporter for 4 months now after deciding to get one to make regular fishing trips with my 6yr old son more fun! decked all the back out and fitted carpet and dvd player etc. van has been fantastic and would be lost without it, which is where we are now :1zhelp:

has been a perfect starter until yesterday when it just turned over and over without firing, did this about 5-6 times and then fired instanly as normal on the next go. started perfect again after that for rest of day. however, same trouble again this afternoon when i tried to start it to pick up my boy, it just turned over and over, tried for ages but its a no-go!

i do not know too much about diesel engines so would love to hear any ideas you have as i really need to get it going and do not really have the money to take it to a garage :( it is the 2.5 diesel (5cyl) engine, and i have checked the fuel filter and that has diesel running out when undone so im presuming its ok? also it smells of diesel when turning over. glow plug light comes on as normal so think they are ok? so now im at a loss, and would appreciate any help :beerchug:

thanks in advance and im off to search for any more mods i can carry out once it works again!!

Ian

stuart
26-11-2006, 10:35 AM
I would still not rule out the glow plugs have past there useful life... sounds like this could be the cause to me.

Stuart

firetrap90210
26-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Stuart and thanks for your reply. how can i go about checking the glowplugs to see if they are at fault??

Kind Regards,

Ian

stuart
26-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Not sure if there is a way to check them, I think the only way is to change them. Unless you describe symptoms to a local garage or dealer.

Stuart

firetrap90210
26-11-2006, 12:32 PM
thanks for the advice, i followed the advice about the glow plugs being suspect and removed the glow plug relay, hit it a few times and replaced it and van fired up first time :D

Marc97
26-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Another happy customer.
Welcome to the forum. Hope to see you on the boards again soon.

firetrap90210
27-11-2006, 12:11 AM
i will be back on a regular basis now! my next question is, can anyone recomend somewhere where i can purchase a replacement relay from online as i relly hate having to pay main dealer prices?!

thanks again,

Ian:beerchug:

Marc97
27-11-2006, 12:28 AM
If they are anything like other manufacturers, I think you might be better off with a dealer part.
It should be better quality and last longer, as long as the original at least (12 years?)
Bargain I think.

firetrap90210
27-11-2006, 07:48 PM
when you put it like that, 12years or so does make it a bargain!
will get one ordered tomorrow.

thanks for the sound advice :Blush:

onzarob
27-11-2006, 09:32 PM
I would still not rule out the glow plugs have past there useful life... sounds like this could be the cause to me.

Stuart

For reference to test glow plugs inplace, you can use a multimeter. Disconnect the power lead to plug then measure the resistance between the top of the glow plug and ground. should be about 1ohm. if its open or very low or high then you have a culprit.

Worked a treat on my citreon Xsara, procedure documented in Haynes. only ended up replacing one plug :D

firetrap90210
27-11-2006, 09:55 PM
thanks i will give that a go soon, providing i can get to the glow plugs.
will post results on here when im done.
in the meantime any more advice/tips will be more than welcome.

thanks all.