PDA

View Full Version : Golf mk4 key fob

Anni
25-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Have managed to wash my key fob and the remote function doesnt work anymore, but still opens/closes the car and immobilises (presume this is cause the actual chip is protected by glass) when using the key in the lock. The chip for the remote is badly corroded. Have the problem that I think I got stuffed when I bought my mark 4 golf by the dealer as one of the key fobs had been superglued together and didnt realise until I may have needed to change the battery. I also was not given a valet key either.

My question is this: Can I get a replacement fob from the likes of ebay and just swap the bottom remote piece without having to programme it? Im hoping the programming info is all kept in the undamaged chip and not the damaged one in the bottom piece with the buttons on when you take it apart?

Anyone got any idea?

Thanks!

adamss24
26-11-2006, 04:33 AM
Have managed to wash my key fob and the remote function doesnt work anymore, but still opens/closes the car and immobilises (presume this is cause the actual chip is protected by glass) when using the key in the lock. The chip for the remote is badly corroded. Have the problem that I think I got stuffed when I bought my mark 4 golf by the dealer as one of the key fobs had been superglued together and didnt realise until I may have needed to change the battery. I also was not given a valet key either.

My question is this: Can I get a replacement fob from the likes of ebay and just swap the bottom remote piece without having to programme it? Im hoping the programming info is all kept in the undamaged chip and not the damaged one in the bottom piece with the buttons on when you take it apart?

Anyone got any idea?

Thanks!
Hi, you can get a replacement fob off ebay but make shure the codes are identical, otherwise they will not work. It will still need programming so the car alarm will recognize the new key fob. There is a way to add new key fobs to the CCM module but its often unreliable so the best way is to use a vag-com for that. Can you post the fob part nr. as i have a mk 4 fob in good order and if you live in N.London i could programm it for you. Did we talk on ebay few days ago as i had it listed in an auction but ended it early ?! Regards.

Anni
26-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Can you post the fob part nr. as i have a mk 4 fob in good order and if you live in N.London i could programm it for you. Did we talk on ebay few days ago as i had it listed in an auction but ended it early ?! Regards.

Oh bugger, was hoping to get away without this! :( I dont live in North London but in Kings Lynn, London isnt that far so can pop down on a weekend if thats OK? Only had it washed for me yesterday so havnt spoken to you before! Where do I find the fob part No? If its any help its one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-MK4-BORA-PASSAT-REMOTE-FLIP-KEY-FOB_W0QQitemZ230054325416QQihZ013QQcategoryZ9889QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

adamss24
26-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi Anni, if you look close in the picture, under the vw badge there is a notch. Insert a small flat screwdriver and the key will split into 2 parts. On the other side of the part with the buttons, you will see some numbers. If they are like: HLO 1JO 959 753 A, 433MHz(thats the freqwency it operates) then the one i have will work. Otherwise you will need to wach ebay auctions for the exact match. Another alternative is to pay the dealer -or a good locksmith - a visit. To programm the key one needs diagnostic equipment like vag com, not difficult but some steps needs followed as per book. Hope this helps.

Eshrules
26-11-2006, 01:20 PM
sorry if im hijacking your thread :P but adamss, you never did give me that guide lol im still managing with one key, i can get the spare fob etc from ebay like you say, but im clueless as to how to use vagcom to programme the new key? any help is much appreciated :D

adamss24
26-11-2006, 05:14 PM
sorry if im hijacking your thread :P but adamss, you never did give me that guide lol im still managing with one key, i can get the spare fob etc from ebay like you say, but im clueless as to how to use vagcom to programme the new key? any help is much appreciated :D
Get your key from ebay and will teach you how to add your new key to your immobiliser. I dont wanna lead you on the wrong path as you may end up with 2 non working keys ! Make shure you follow my advice to the letter and you wont go wrong. Also you will need a valid log in code for the immobiliser and you all set. Thanks.

Anni
26-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Panic over, the darn thing started working again today!! At least they made the damn things bomb proof. The corrosion on closer inspection is probably washing powder ;)

onzarob
26-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Panic over, the darn thing started working again today!! At least they made the damn things bomb proof. The corrosion on closer inspection is probably washing powder ;)

It will probably be ok for a while, but i would get a new one/second hand controller as it will eventully go.

they are £160 from a dealer, so go for a second hand one, just match the part number as adamss24 says.

Rob

mudd786
30-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi
I am new to the forum, my only key started to play but realized it was the battery, but i have bought a key uncut from ebay and have NO idea where to get it cut from and also programmed??? i live in lancashire if any one could help me i would appreciate it thank you very much!

onzarob
30-11-2006, 10:00 PM
I did the same as you and couldn't find an auto locksmith, I have know bought a cut blank from ebay. key is perfect fit. I have also got VAG-com freeware version which I going to register so I can program the key to the immobilser. I think in all I spent around £40 for the key and cutting and then £20 for the vag-com cable. the licence is going to cost £50. But I will have a licenced version of vag-com at the end. which is still less than the dealer cost for just the key!!!

You do need the SKC code for your immobiliser to match it, if not you will need to get the dealer to get it for you.

click here for key cutting
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320052726628&rd=1&rd=1

Rob:D

mudd786
30-11-2006, 10:40 PM
i dont have the SKC, guess its down to the dealers :(
Cheers m8!