PDA

View Full Version : driver abuse?

a34me
11-03-2008, 02:51 PM
hi everybody,
driving a 2006 A3 turbo (2.0 6 speed manual)
i recently was on the highway and my clutch died, i could not get it in any gear and i had to drift off the highway in neutral. I had initially thought that the clutch linkage had failed and there would be no major damage. However after an audi Technician looked at it he determined that the cause was driver abuse. apparently the gears melted..... however, i only drive the car 2-3 times a month (maybe a 100 miles a mont). I do drive fast but i never go past 5.5 RPMs and i keep it below 90.
when i pulled over i found the battery cover in the engine fans (located behind the grill) they were clearly jammed and not working. Is it possible the jammed fan is the cause of the meltage? Any other reasons this could have happened, is audis driver abuse claim valid.
This is not my car and its 3K of damage so any kind of insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Jon

Pauloz
11-03-2008, 11:54 PM
hi everybody,
driving a 2006 A3 turbo (2.0 6 speed manual)
i recently was on the highway and my clutch died, i could not get it in any gear and i had to drift off the highway in neutral. I had initially thought that the clutch linkage had failed and there would be no major damage. However after an audi Technician looked at it he determined that the cause was driver abuse. apparently the gears melted..... however, i only drive the car 2-3 times a month (maybe a 100 miles a mont). I do drive fast but i never go past 5.5 RPMs and i keep it below 90.
when i pulled over i found the battery cover in the engine fans (located behind the grill) they were clearly jammed and not working. Is it possible the jammed fan is the cause of the meltage? Any other reasons this could have happened, is audis driver abuse claim valid.
This is not my car and its 3K of damage so any kind of insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Jon
Gears don't 'melt' as such, very strange term to use. And if they wear out, its difficult to see how its down to driving style.....
If he meant that the clutch had melted, then this is likely down to driving style though - but he'd have to take the gear box off, 4 hours work at least, to even get to that point, in which case youd change the clutch there and then to save doign the work twice..... 95% of the work of a clutch change is just getting to the damn thing.

PS. posting the same thing 3 times doesnt go down well bud... ssshhhhh ;o)

a34me
12-03-2008, 02:05 AM
thanks for the insight
i was in a panic because it wasn't my car and I am a full time student and i do not have 3,000 dollars, excuse me for posting it 3 times, bud