PDA

View Full Version : Rear parking sensors - what's going on?

browellm
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Just received this email from my company car leasing provider.

We have just been informed by Audi UK that the factory have a supplier problem with the rear acoustic parking and consequently have removed it from the standard specification on new Audi A4 however the dealer will commit to retro-fitting acoustic rear parking when the vehicle arrives in the UK and before delivery to you within the price on the order.

I hope you find this arrangement acceptable.

I'm not too chuffed about thtis because, if it's what I think it is, then the dealer supplied sensors will be the fugly crapola sticking out sensors that are bolted on afterwards.

Anyone else had this revelation yet?

Bloater
11-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I've had nothing yet from the dealer. Mine was ordered on teh 26th Feb, so similar time to yours??

I've not had a build week or anything currently, although the dealer indicated 2 to 3 weeks for that information, so anytime soon for me.

I did talk to the salesman on the test drive, and we did mention the parking sensors. Apparently the factory fit are flush with the bumper, and the dealer fit, protrude about a millimetre or so. So thats probably 5 millimetres in reality.

I too would not be happy with a dealer fit item, for something which should be fatory fit. Hopefully the supply will sort itself out by the teime mine gets built, over the next 2 months.

Bloater

Satch
11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes this is true. My dealer told me that only cars which have had their delivery confirmed will come with parking sensors. Any cars which have been ordered but have not had their build date confirmed will not have rear parking sensors.

My car is due to arrive in two weeks with rear parking sensors. I hope !!!!

Bloater
11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Spoke to my dealer earlier, and they haven't heard anything about this.

He is going to get back to me, so hopefully another confirmed reply. He did say that my build date still hasn't come through yet, so not a good sign. He also stated that the dealer fit parking sensors are also flush with the bumper, unlike the previous salesman I spoke to.

Ho hum, who knows whats really going on.

Bloater

alexcf
11-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Guh, seems like it's one thing after another... DRLs, and now park assist, wonder what they'll do next, make the tyres optional extras?

Just spoke to my Audi dealer, and it seems the order hasn't been placed yet (!), but he muttered something about back ordering or something, so we'll see!

Foringo
11-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I haven’t heard anything from my Dealer about parking sensors being a problem so I’m assuming that it isn’t (I’ve ordered front and rear). I certainly wouldn’t be happy for a Dealer to fit them…sometimes they struggle to get number plates on straight! I’m sure that the wiring etc would be neater and more reliable with a factory fit…that’s what you are paying a prestige manufacturer for! Connecting these to the rest of the system will be an unknown quantity & may not be reliable. It would also be non-standard if spares are ever needed. If I wanted after market sensors I would have fitted them myself and saved a fortune. First no xenon option and now this, I’m beginning to wonder about Audi and if I’ve made the right choice! Perhaps if this does affect my order I’ll consider cancelling and going for the Jag XF:zx11: apparently that has parking sensors and xenons…all fitted at the factory!

alexcf
11-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Yeah, my leasing company did say "Have you looked at the XF", although for me, I would be just called an "old man" by my peers if I got one.

Not sure, if I did drop the order, there really isn't much around as best suited. Maybe the BM, but then it just asks for trouble, and insurance companies seem to think if you're a BMW driver, you're a **** *snigger*. :)

Foringo
11-03-2008, 07:41 PM
My peers are all old men anyway...so that's not a problem! :approve:

alexcf
11-03-2008, 07:56 PM
My peers are all old men anyway...so that's not a problem! :approve:

What spec did you buy? :)

Foringo
11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
What I thought I had ordered....A4 SE 2.7tdi, multitronic, deep sea blue, leather/heated seats, hill assist, f/r parking sensors, sat nav, lighting pack, tyre pressure sensors, folding mirrors

What I'm now expecting - deep sea blue = dealer respray, leather/heated seats = dealer fit seat covers in faux leather, with hot water bottles, hill assist = dealer supplied wooden chocks, f/r parking sensors =(nuf said) , sat nav = compass, lighting pack = torch, tyre pressure sensors = pressure gauge , folding mirrors = 2 strings :naughty:

Satch
11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
What I thought I had ordered....A4 SE 2.7tdi, multitronic, deep sea blue, leather/heated seats, hill assist, f/r parking sensors, sat nav, lighting pack, tyre pressure sensors, folding mirrors

What I'm now expecting - deep sea blue = dealer respray, leather/heated seats = dealer fit seat covers in faux leather, with hot water bottles, hill assist = dealer supplied wooden chocks, f/r parking sensors =(nuf said) , sat nav = compass, lighting pack = torch, tyre pressure sensors = pressure gauge , folding mirrors = 2 strings :naughty:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::D very funny.

Satch
11-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, my leasing company did say "Have you looked at the XF", although for me, I would be just called an "old man" by my peers if I got one.

Not sure, if I did drop the order, there really isn't much around as best suited. Maybe the BM, but then it just asks for trouble, and insurance companies seem to think if you're a BMW driver, you're a **** *snigger*. :)

You'll need a flat cap, pipe and one of those tartan rugs with the XF.;):D

Foringo
11-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Nothing wrong with that... goes perfectly with my Blue Harbour attire :rolleyes:

the_gasman
11-03-2008, 08:58 PM
In the latest brochure (released today and including the Avant) rear parking sensors have been dropped from the SE spec and £350 cut from the price!

It seems the only way to get rear sensors is to buy front and rear sensors at £650. Audi really are taking the **** now what with bundling the Xenon lights with S-line spec and the parking sensors as an extra!

Martin

alexcf
11-03-2008, 09:32 PM

Heh, Tea -> Monitor :)

alexcf
11-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Was just nattering with my dad about the whole saga with the park assist. He mentioned that BMW offered Chrome exhausts with the "SE" pack on a BMW RT bike, then when his friend's bike arrived, it had bog standard and nasty exhaust.

Anyway, he basically whinged and moaned a lot and they gave him the upgrade free as a gesture of good will... I reckon you should do the same, just moan like a pain in the ****! Or maybe speak to another dealer... :o

Bloater
11-03-2008, 09:56 PM
So they have dropped the price by £350. The Audi Parking system used to be £300 but is now £650 to compensate.

It will be interesting to see what the dealer says tomorrow when he rings back. I think I will push for the parking system to be added, at no cost to me, see what happens. I specifically wanted the rear sensors, as during the test drive I realised just how small the rear window is.

More updates to follow tomorrow hopefully.

Bloater

Bloater
12-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Before my dealer gets back to me, I need to get some ducks in a line.

Anyone know how much an Audi dealer is likely to charge for fitting the dealer fit rear parking sensors.

I am expecting that the dealer will come back and say that they will fit the sensors for me, and thus my order will remain the same. However, I can't imagine that rear parking sensors are £350 fitted, and therefore would be out of pocket somewhat.

Any help anyone can provide would be good.

Bloater

alexcf
12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Bloater, not got a clue to be honest, I would just randomly call up another Audi dealer and ask.

You may aswell go in guns blazing and even mention the XF, perhaps pop over to the Jag garage and pick up a brochure before hand? :p

digigriffin
12-03-2008, 02:00 PM
In the same boat here and just finished speaking with the dealer.

There is a new brochure online and the rear parking sensors have been dropped from it.

However they have beefed up the 7X4 (amended to correct) option for Audi Parking System Plus.
Previously this was £300 inc vat now its £650 inc vat.

Something smells fishy about this to me

I was offered a £500 discount if I did not want the rear parking sensors that were on my order.

Apparently unconfirmed orders will still be honoured, but if parking sensors are still required there will be a "significant delay".

Dealers have been told to inform customers of the situation and get a decision as to whether the customer wants the rear acoustic parking or the £500 cash back.
All customers must have been contacted by the 31/3/08 with regard to a decision.

I put it to my dealer that if Audi are prepared to give me £500 back then its not a stretch to get the new LX7 option at no/little cost to me.

The dealer hopes to have news for me by Friday.

browellm
12-03-2008, 03:19 PM
However they have beefed up the LX7 option for Audi Parking System Plus.
Previously this was £300 inc vat now its £650 inc vat.

I put it to my dealer that if Audi are prepared to give me £500 back then its not a stretch to get the new LX7 option at no/little cost to me.

The dealer hopes to have news for me by Friday.

Do you mean 7X4?

PS. Foringo: you made me LOFL

digigriffin
12-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Yes 7X4, no idea where that other reference came from.

I have now corrected that in my original post,

Thanks

Bloater
12-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Not heard back from my dealer, but interesting to hear what you say.

I was going to push for getting the 7X4 system instead at little or no cost, but am unsure whether this would be affected as well. Be interesting to hear the real reason for dropping the original sensors.

I'll update when I hear more, would appreciate others doing likewise.

Bloater

Malcolm44
12-03-2008, 05:31 PM
mmmmm I knew I should have questiond the part in the deal where it says "Audi reserves the right to change the specification without notice". So if I dont get them then I think I will take the £500 and go here for a retrofit deal ( not too difficult to install yourself if the B7 was anything to go on)

http://reverseparkingsensors.co.uk/gallery/audi-a4.asp

digigriffin
12-03-2008, 05:37 PM
In addition to the £500 reduction, they did mention that the customer should be offered dealer fitting of reversing parking sensors for about £270 from memory.

Of course these are not the same as far as I know as factory fitted.

Malcolm44
12-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I just got a call from my dealer. Seems like I am alright and will have them fitted at the factory. He says it was a timing issue when the order was placed and the availability they have for the kit.

Bloater
12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
So Malcolm, do you have a build week for yours???

I placed my order on the 26th Feb, although the actual order was placed by the dealer before that and amended for me. I have no build week yet.

My dealer is being remarkably quiet at the moment, was expecting a return phone call today. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Bloater

gilesw08
12-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I too spoke to my dealer about this today and he seems to think its a 'minor' issue, which should be resolved by the time my car is built. I have ordered the S Line version though - not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Bloater
12-03-2008, 10:31 PM
According to the A4 configurator, there is now a note there stating that the rear parking sensors are not available for the car currently, and that all list prices have been lowered by £350.

My dealer did ring back, but knew little. Basically as there is no build date for mine, I will not get them. However I did mention about the advanced parking system, which is only £150 more than Audi are supposed to be giving, and he doesn't know.

He also stated that the company used for dealer fit sensors, locally here in Milton Keynes, only uses Audi parts from the factory, and therefore should be no different. Of course, there is no guarantee they can get them, or the advanced parking either.

Seems to me to be a complete balls on the behalf of Audi, launching a new car, without enough bits to build them. I bet the A6 and A8 are still being built with them fitted - Makes you think doesn't it.

More as it happens.

Bloater.

Malcolm44
13-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Bloater. My build week is set at 14, so that means I should see the car by end April (according to dealer). I placed the order on 17th Feb.

digigriffin
13-03-2008, 08:32 AM
I placed my order on the 19th Feb and I have not had a build date yet? :confused:

Bloater
13-03-2008, 08:57 AM
My car was ordered on the 22nd Feb, although my spec was then added on the 26th, not that that should alter the position in the build sequence. Still no build week.

gilesw08
13-03-2008, 01:41 PM
It would be really nice to get an 'official' line on all of this. some are apparently not getting parking sensors, some have been told not to worry. Its all a bit of a shambles really.

I have a sneeky feeling my dealer is telling me it wont be a problem, and by surprise will turn round at the last minute and tell me I haven't got parking sensors fitted to my lovely new car.....

digigriffin
13-03-2008, 01:46 PM
My dealer is doing everything that can to get to the bottom of this.

They have escalated this to the most senior Audi contact in the UK that they have access to.

The dealer is 100% backing me on the fact that I should get what I have ordered without a "significant delay".

In fact I have my fingers crossed on getting more than I have ordered without any delay.

As previosly stated they have promised to get back to me on Friday with more info.

I will keep you posted.

moptisam2
13-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Just been to talk about the new A4 with a dealer in Lancashire.

Apart from saying 'we are not discounting the new A4', he confirmed the problems with the sensors.

As my present A4 is only just 3 years old and I'm paying for the new one myself, I'm waiting until the factory-fitted ones come back. I have front and rear at the moment and need them just to get out of my driveway, because ******** seem to think I live in an overflow car park for the station and park opposite my drive which (Yes, guys, I know they are legally entitled to do so) makes me appreciate front and rear sensors.

I think I'll see what I can find in the German news about the problems.

I think Audi knows it really doesn't have much competition (in my opinion). I drove a BMW 320 SE - less said about that, the better!

moptisam2
14-03-2008, 05:49 AM
On a lighter note: I have just had a look at the Audi Spain, France and Germany web-sites to see if there is any mention of there being problems with the rear parking sensors - which are payable options. No there isn't, but in the list of standard equipment on the Spanish site are 'front seats'!

digigriffin
17-03-2008, 04:52 PM
After serveral conversations with my dealer and the dealer speaking with audi uk here is where I have got to.

Removal of the rear sensors gets you £500 back.
However if you then wish to add option 7X4 you would NOT get the £500 cash back and you need to pay an addtional £300.

The dealer is as frustrated with this as I am.

Audi are saying that because they have dropped the price of the car in the current brochure you cannot order the 7X4 option from that brochure as the price has been adjusted to accomodate the removal of the rear sensors???

So what you have to do is order option 7X4 from the original brochure when you placed the order and therefore you are in fact not dropping the rear sensors at all, so no £500 cash back. :(

What my dealer could come up with was only charging me £150 and they would bear the cost.

So I get front and rear sensors but have to pay £150 more.

So happy but not as happy as could have been.

Bloater
17-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks for that Digi.

My delaer is also trying to find out what I can do. Currently they are suggesting using a local company to delaer fit the rear sensors, who apparently use genuine Audi parts.

I have also spoken to him about getting option 7X4, but hopefully will come up with a similar deal to you.

Have you got a build date yet? and if so, any dealys expected as a result of specifying 7X4??

I am getting seriously cheesed off with Audi currently, it has somewhat taken the gloss of ordering a new car.

Bloater

digigriffin
17-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I have not been given a build date and the dealer suggests sometime in the next two weeks to be given a build date?

The dealer said that on Friday when they were 'playing' with the system they could remove the rear sensors and add the 7x4 option and it was saying a build week of 17. They were then on build week 12.

The delear having said I should get a build date in the next two weeks also said that I am already in the queue so the build date might not be too bad?

Foringo
17-03-2008, 06:34 PM
It wont be any consolation but my understanding is that the rear parking sensors are still being specified as a standard factory fit for the 2.7 SE TDI and are not (yet?) affected by the general fiasco. :boggled: Factory build time is week 14 and I'm anticipating delivery towards end of April.

Bloater
17-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Not according to the Audi website Foringo

Quote:

Acoustic parking system on A4 (http://ak4-uk.audi.co.uk/controller.do?next=newconf&page=&slot-value=&slot-explicit=&slot=&kind=&v_r=&v_z=&v_d=&v_x=&v_cb=&v_mod_sort=&v_serie=&v_basics_images=&v_basics_details=&v_extras=&v_extras_images=&v_extras_details=&v_accessories=&v_accessories_images=&v_accessories_details=&v_allitems=&v_tech=&v_rate=&v_show_rate_toogle=&v_show_finance_link=&v_show_extras=&v_show_mandatory=&v_show_advice=&v_show_accessories=&v_open_extras=&v_compare_filter=&mandant=ak4_uk&filter-value=&filter-name=&reset-filter=&transfer_q=&command=&last_on_page=&v_ay=92&v_carstoreupdate=#) Please note that the rear acoustic parking system is no longer available on all A4 models and therefore the on-the-road price for SE and S line models has been reduced by £350 to that quoted in the configurator.

Might be time for a phone call. I have complained to Audi UK, and said that I am willing to use the £500 + £150 for the plus system. Unfortunately she didn't know about the £500 hassle payment either. Hopefully get further tomorrow.

And when is week 14 in the real world exactly??

Best of luck.

digigriffin
17-03-2008, 06:49 PM
In the latest brochure all models have had the rear sensors removed.

It could be that if your order was early enough you are not affected.

Foringo
17-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I contacted my Dealer earlier last week and asked about the parking sensor issue & his first reaction was how did you know about that? I just said I have my sources:D

Anyway...he said that the Audi Website was notoriously inaccurate and he categorically stated that the 2.7 wasn't affected...We'll see :confused:

I'm not that impressed with the Audi website compared to better offerings from other manufacturers.....seems to get hung up quite often and is not particularly slick either.....tried it at work on another PC with same result:mad: Anybody else had a problem?

Foringo
17-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Sorry Bloater....this week is Week 12

http://personal.ecu.edu/mccartyr/isowdcal.html

Satch
17-03-2008, 09:31 PM
This will be my first Audi and I have discovered that you can't trust their brochure, website or salespeople. I've been totally mislead from the start.
Hopefully the car will turn out better.

digigriffin
17-03-2008, 10:16 PM
This is my first Audi from new as well.

However it is Audi in Germany or is it Audi UK who have let us down?

The Audi dealer that I have ordered from is as frustrated as I am and has supported me 100%.

My dealer is a franchise so although they are fully badged up as Audi that are their own company.

I don't know if all dealers are like this.

Whilst this has not been an ideal purchase of a new car as the model is brand new I can accept that the spec may evolve in the early days.

One of the draw backs of buying a brand new model.

Or perhaps I am just deluding myself?

Bloater
17-03-2008, 11:19 PM
My first Audi as well. We'll see how things progress tomorrow, hopefully with a return call from Audi UK with something positive.

As I said to the girl from Customer services this evening, I would pay the extra for the £650, as long as I got the £500. However, she said about it having to be the £300 as in the Feb brochure, as they have dropped the price. Unfortunately for them, they haven't dropped the price of mine, as it was ordered in Feb. So I don't have the £350 drop in price, but am still expected to pay £300 for the 7X4.

Thats when the penny dropped with the girl.

We'll see, more updates as they happen, and thanks for the info chaps, esp. Digigriffin. Our cars were ordered 3 days apart. Race you to ownership:biglaugh:

Bloater

Satch
17-03-2008, 11:20 PM
This is my first Audi from new as well.

However it is Audi in Germany or is it Audi UK who have let us down?

The Audi dealer that I have ordered from is as frustrated as I am and has supported me 100%.

My dealer is a franchise so although they are fully badged up as Audi that are their own company.

I don't know if all dealers are like this.

Whilst this has not been an ideal purchase of a new car as the model is brand new I can accept that the spec may evolve in the early days.

One of the draw backs of buying a brand new model.

Or perhaps I am just deluding myself?

I'm probably being a bit harsh on the dealer, after all they are just going by the information given to them by Audi. If I worked for a dealer I would be fuming.

digigriffin
17-03-2008, 11:27 PM
In an aside to the current situation.

When I ordered my car I know what options I wanted based on cost etc.
I thought that leather was too expensive.

My helpful sales person said the Milano leather was only £800.
My being 100% honest bloke corrected him stating the brochure and the internet audi configurator.
However he said his system says £800 so that was I get it for.

When I spoke to him earlier today he said "don't mention the leather".
They now realise that they had it priced wrong.

He still went at gave me the 7x4 Audi Parking Plus for +£150 on my original price as well.

I did ask him today if he would throw in the sat nav and B&O speakers!
Neadless to say he declined.

He might very well still get a christmas card from me though.
But only if I get a decent build date sometime soon.

Satch
17-03-2008, 11:32 PM
In an aside to the current situation.

When I ordered my car I know what options I wanted based on cost etc.
I thought that leather was too expensive.

My helpful sales person said the Milano leather was only £800.
My being 100% honest bloke corrected him stating the brochure and the internet audi configurator.
However he said his system says £800 so that was I get it for.

When I spoke to him earlier today he said "don't mention the leather".
They now realise that they had it priced wrong.

He still went at gave me the 7x4 Audi Parking Plus for +£150 on my original price as well.

I did ask him today if he would throw in the sat nav and B&O speakers!
Neadless to say he declined.

He might very well still get a christmas card from me though.
But only if I get a decent build date sometime soon.

Sounds like a decent deal, I'm calling my dealer tomorrow and demanding £800 leather.:biglaugh:

alexcf
19-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Bah, my leather was 850. :)

Samurai1466
19-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi fellow A4 fans! This is a great forum and the no. 1 A4 B8 forum!!! In regards to the rear parking sensors, I agree - it's totally insane! First Audi UK don't offer LED lights on the SE model then they pull the standard rear parking sensors :confused: I, like you guys are at a loss why they did this. I too received the letter in the Audi A4 brochure from Jeremy Hicks that stated that the rear parking sensors are not now available on the SE and S Line models.

After reading the letter and this forum, I called my local Audi dealer as I have a B8 S Line on order (still waiting for the build date after 10 days). I spoke with my sales rep who answered that the rear parking sensors are not included BUT he said they'll fit the rear sensors at the dealership inclusive in the price so I am happy with that, but it's still madness! There appears to be various answers from dealers on this one. It would've been nice to have been told this by the dealer but I suppose they felt that silence was their best plan! :aargh4: I know that my sales rep is not happy that Audi is changing things for the new A4 as it makes things difficult for him.

My order is...
:beerchug:

Audi A4 S Line 3.0TDI Quattro
Aruba Blue (pearl)
Bang & Olufsen
Electric Folding Door Mirrors
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Audi Hill Hold Assist
Black Interior/Headlining with Silver Stitching
Interior Light Pack

I didn't bother with the 6 disc cd-changer as I have lots of music on my SD card. I'll let you guys know when I get a build date. :biggthump

digigriffin
19-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Dealer fittted sensors should be offered to everyone with an order for about £270 as I think my dealer said.

However I have been told dealer fitted is not the same as factory fitted?
Factory fitted is always preferred but if you are happy with the difference then no problem.

Samurai1466
19-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi dig... Like everyone else, I'm not happy with the situation but really want rear parking sensors, especially with the B8 rear window being smaller than previous A4 models. :bigok:

digigriffin
19-03-2008, 06:43 PM
So why not go for the 7X4 front and rear sensor option?
There's a lot of bonnet there as well as small rear window. :D

Bloater
19-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Dealer fit use Audi parts apparently, but they stick out slightly, unlike the factory fit option.

For me, that is not right, the ones from the web stick out a bit, and are a lot cheaper.

My saga continues, still no return call from Audi UK, or the dealer, so guess they haven't talked to each other. Time for a chase up tomorrow. Sick of calling, why aren't the dealer sorting this out.

Not happy:(

Samurai1466
19-03-2008, 06:49 PM
I agree Bloater... I'm fed up with calling the dealer too. It appears that the new A4 "can't see things before we do!" (especially behind the vehicle) after all. ;)

Samurai1466
19-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I understand that dig but I personally would be happy with only rear sensors. :)

Satch
19-03-2008, 07:10 PM
I agree Bloater... I'm fed up with calling the dealer too. It appears that the new A4 "can't see things before we do!" (especially behind the vehicle) after all. ;)

LOL:biglaugh:

Foringo
19-03-2008, 09:10 PM
I’m still hoping that my front & rear parking sensors will be factory fitted for my 2.7tdi (anyway that’s what my Dealer’s telling me) but I’m just wondering about the spec of the Dealer fitted alternative:confused:. My current (non-Audi) car has parking sensors that are factory fitted and they are fully integrated into the car (and painted to match). When you reverse for example, the radio volume decreases and the bleeping sound is directional, this is also shown on a graphical display (front & rear). Matching push button cancel switches are also integrated into the dash switch panel. What are Audi offering? Is it the equivalent of a factory fitted system but just with different sensors and connected up to a pre-installed wiring loom, switches and to the display? If not, it all sounds a little dodgy to me and a cheap fix. My previous car, an X-trail was specified with rear sensors and I only found out later that it was a dealer fit job, consequently all it really had was a sounder fitted in the boot (probably by the apprentice) connected to the reversing light circuit with Scotchloks…it worked but wasn’t very sophisticated and it cost me over £300 for a kit I could have bought and fitted myself for <£50:zx11:

Bloater
19-03-2008, 11:21 PM
It gets worse!!!

Over on Tyresmoke, someone is now suggesting that rear sensors are now back on the menu, and the £500 offer is withdrawn.

What the bloody hell are they playing at. Will call dealer tomorrow.

Bloater

alexcf
20-03-2008, 09:50 AM
I didn't bother with the 6 disc cd-changer as I have lots of music on my SD card. I'll let you guys know when I get a build date. :biggthump

If you could keep me posted that'd be great. My order's supposed to be going in today... Would be good to compare notes! :p

Bloater
20-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Spoke to the dealer and according to the computer, Audi are not withdrawing the £500 offer, or fitting sensors again, so just a red herring.

Audi UK still haven't rung me back, so looks like customer service is not one of their strong points.

More as it happens.

Bloater
20-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Audi UK have finally rung back, and the answer is Tough. They aren't supplying rear sensors anymore. I can take the &#163;500 but have no sensors. If I upgrade to the plus system, its &#163;300 and then get no &#163;500 back.

Even though I have a signed contract, for a specific spec, the answer is Tough.:zx11:

Even though you can still specify rear sensors only on the continent, the answer is Tough.:zx11:

My dealer is horrified by this approach, but probably can't do anything. Audi seem more willing to lose customers than actually sort the problem out.:confused:

He said that if I want to upgrade to the plus system, then why should Audi help pay for it. My argument was, I don't want to upgrade, but Audi are forcing me to.

I bet when the dealer comes to put the plus system on the computer, it comes up at todays price, &#163;650 and not February's price &#163;300. Audi did confirm I should get it for &#163;300, so we shall see on Saturday.

Best of luck to all you new buyers.

Bloater

digigriffin
20-03-2008, 06:41 PM
That is exactly what they said to me.

Except speaking with my dealer he went away and called me back saying that they could offer me the 7x4 option for &#163;150 instead of the &#163;300 as goodwill.

They seemed to think that they felt I might cancel my order otherwise.

Although that I would not have done that but I didn't tell them that.

Bloater
20-03-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm hoping for some goodwill as well Digi, but after getting 10% off list price, plus decent finance deal, he has little room for maneuver.

We'll see, I will be happy with £150, or even £100 from the dealer.

Bloater

HotChip
26-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Hot off the press.

Dealers have been informed today that the sensors will now come fitted as standard after all, on all builds from now on.

:beerchug:

digigriffin
26-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Audi's web configurator had not been updated then.

It still says they have been removed and the price reduced.

I am happy with the +£150 and getting the front sensors as well now anyway.

There was someone else saying this a few days ago and at the time it turned out to be a red herring.

gilesw08
26-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I have just been given my build date (week 15), and apparently the whole issue has now been resolved, so good news all round. :D

digigriffin
26-03-2008, 01:43 PM
when did you place your order?

gilesw08
26-03-2008, 02:05 PM
march 1st - about 4 weeks ago.

digigriffin
26-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Ordered mine on the 19th of Feb still no build date :(

Bloater
26-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Ordered mine 26th Feb, still no build date either. Also no confirmation from the dealer regarding Audi's about turn on the sensors.:confused:

Just noticed giles - yours is an S-line. Might make a difference, time for another call.

alexcf
26-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Urg, I still don't think my car order has been placed, if I get a build date of July, I may aswell just wait a bit and register it in August to have a 58 plate.

Quite promising if you got a build date for May!

Bloater
26-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Interesting chat with the dealer, and he has now confirmed that my car ordered in the 26th Feb, will have rear sensors after all, due to it being the Feb spec. The revised spec, with no sensors, is as of the 1st March.

He has also confirmed build week 14, which is next week, so hopefully 6 weeks or so till delivery.:o

Samurai1466
26-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Since hearing about the rear parking sensors being excluded from the SE and S Line models as standard, I've thought about it and managed to get my local Audi dealer to add the Audi Parking System Plus to my order. Since the car's base price has been reduced by £350 due to no rear parking sensors, I've only to pay £300 (instead of £650) for the Audi Parking System Plus.

So, if you're going for the Audi Parking System Plus, make sure that you receive it for £300! :biggthump

The sales rep also said that very few build dates have been issued yet and that the S Line is due to start in production next month.

moptisam2
02-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Yesterday I spoke to the Marketing Dept at Audi. I was told that the rear sensors and the Plus system come from different suppliers. The rear sensor issue is a supply problem, not a technical issue. No date yet when they will (may) put rear sensors back as standard,

I'm going to order (when I find a dealer who doesn't think it's April 1st every time I ask for a part-ex value for my car) the Plus package, so I won't be affected.

Mopti

belly buster
02-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Can someone confirm the rear parking sensors referred to in this thread is the "Rear acoustic parking system" described in the brochure.

digigriffin
03-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Yes they are the "rear acoustic parking sensors" aka rear parking sensors.

Satch
03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
"Rear acoustic parking system" AKA " now you see them, now you don't":p

kkwan18
04-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I ordered my A4 3.0TDi before christmas, it had the rear parking sensor as standard but paid for the audi parking sensor + for extra £300, i am glade i got every thing i ordered 29th March, i even got the B&O speakers were free from Audi.............i am very please with the car

a8 tech
10-04-2008, 08:40 PM
audi retro fit parking sensors avaliable from today

AndyE66
12-04-2008, 11:45 PM
audi retro fit parking sensors avaliable from today

Any idea if it be possible to retrofit front sensors onto a vehicle with rears and activate the visual parking system? Would it need a new bumper cover or would it be a case of the installer drilling through the current bumper?

a8 tech
13-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Hello Andy,give me a couple of days and i will look into it for you.Regards A8

AndyE66
13-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Hello Andy,give me a couple of days and i will look into it for you.Regards A8

Many thanks

a8 tech
14-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Hello Andy,the retro fit pack part number zgb8t0052296xx is stand alone only so np link to mmi for graphic display.The rear bumper requires drilling and the sensors come pre painted labor time 1 hour,contact your local parts department for further details.Be quick as i can see these going to back order vey quickly cost around &#163;150.The final two digits of the part number are the paint code ice silver p5,phantom black l8 lava grey 1r quartz grey q4 meteor grey x5 deep sea blue 8a brilliant black a2 aruba blue q9 brilliant red c8 liquid blue q1 sphere blue 9f garnet red 9c ibis white t9 dakar biege 9x deep green 3w.Regards a8

AndyE66
14-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for that info. I've possibly not been clear enough in my earlier post. I've got factory fit rear sensors and was wondering about fitting fronts and getting the visual display. With you saying the rear kit is not linkable I'd also suspect a front fit might be problematic.

a8 tech
14-04-2008, 11:52 AM
you cant adapt mmi to show graphic display without a factory action code as 80&#37; of b8 control units are now coded online so not much use for vag com.You could rertro fit the front stand alone as most kits supply a audible speaker.You could retro fit new sensors to the front and looking at it its a case of running the wires from j791 but the coding will be a big issue and only audi dealers will be able sort this out but firstly they will have to send a request to the factory to retro fit

dorgan
10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Sorry to resurrect this old thread. Just been back from the Audi garge after getting some repairs done to my A3 Sportback. Got chatting to the technician about the parking sensors on the A4 Avant and then he mentioned to me that they can do an aftermarket fit of them. The car will be on lease but the lease company failed to tell me about this option. He said the lease company are aware of this option.

One thing I forgot to ask the Audi guy was if the PDC is controlled through the car interface or if it's some type of seperate speaker that sits in the boot of the car. I really don't want to pay extra for this half baked option. I realise that the sensors won't be as flush a fit as factory fitted versions but if I can control them through the car interface then they'll be fine.

Can anyone who has had the procedure done tell me what they got?

Does it depend on the dealer? Any info appreciated. Suppose the best way is to go back and ask tomorrow but I'd like to have some other peoples input to reference against.

HotChip
11-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I had my rear sensors fitted at the dealer rather than the factory. They look fine, but there is no control through the MMI. From reading other threads I understand that if they are factory fitted there are certian options (such as the volume of the warning) that can be adjusted through the MMI, but not on mine.

Hope this helps.

HotChip

browellm
11-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Am I the only person that managed to get a free Parking System Plus upgrade then?

Still not sure how I managed to blag this, it was all done through our company car administrators (Inchcape).

JJAvant
11-06-2008, 09:10 PM
My dealer also agreed to upgrade my Avant order to Parking system Plus at no extra charge after I ordered my car on 10 March (the first day Avants could be ordered) and the parking sensor debacle then blew up later that week.

Having had rear parking sensors on my last 2 estates, I would not have a car without them.

On order Avant 1.8TFSi Multitronic in black, black sport seats, bluetooth, cruise, interior light pack, load area system. powered tailgate, storage pack, reversible boot mat, debadged. Build week 25

kkwan18
12-06-2008, 04:41 AM
Hi I think the orders for new A4 is low due to the credit crunch, the sales lady at our Audi garage said on Tuesday she still not had a s-line order. This why people are getting parking sensor plus throw in for free

stewartt997
12-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Be interesting to see if dealerhip discounts increase too with the credit crunch. Managed to get nearly 9% off on 3.0TDI avant - pretty close to broker deals

mkc
12-06-2008, 01:29 PM
If orders are so low, why are they taking so long to arrive!?