PDA

View Full Version : DPF blockages on the 2.0 TDI 170 PS engine

BAT
10-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I recently purchased an A3 Sportback S line 2.0 Quattro 170 PS and virtually from day one this has been suffering with the diesel particulate filter blocking intermittently. In the 3 months the emission warning light has activated on numerous occasions and the vehicle has switched into ‘limp’ mode and been towed away for further investigation twice. In essence, the car has been off the road as much as on it.

The journey that I carry out daily consists of 20 miles plus each way and is a combination of occasional congestion, but on the whole open rural roads. I have now been informed by both Audi Customer Services UK and also the dealership where I purchased the vehicle from that, ‘the vehicle I purchased is not suitable for the type of driving that I have to do’ and also, that ‘this particular engine is only recommended for people who carry out a minimum journey distance of 30 miles on each occasion!’. I personally cannot believe that these statements are in fact true, and so would be grateful if people who have the same 170 PS diesel engine fitted with the DPF would share their experiences of it with me.

In particular, have you:

1. Suffered with the same fault and if so, what was the cause and resolution?
2. Apparently when you purchase this particular engine fitted with a DPF Audi are supposed to inform you of the potential problems that can arise with blockages and your driving style, distance you typically travel etc.. are discussed prior to purchase. Were you informed? Verbally? In writing? - Because I certainly wasn’t!
3. Has anyone ever heard of this ‘recommended minimum 30 mile journey’ figure?
4. What is the fuel economy like with your vehicle? (The most I’ve ever had was 41mpg on a couple of occasions, but on average I get 36mpg. Possibly the blockages are linked to this; it’s been dismissed by Audi, but I’m not so sure)
5. Anything else you feel relevant to help me with my battle!

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

mdjsa3
11-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Cant really answer much to your questions, but i own a 2007 A3 170 manual, and with regards to the mpg i get its around the 40-46. 40 for when i'm comuting to work and 46 when i'm crusing down the motorway (have hit 47-48 ocationally). Obviously it will be slighty lower readings for the automatic but iwouldn't expect the readings your getting. As to the driving style, i think that is rubbish. Hope things get sorted soon!

prolfe
12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
my dpf was blocked up, it was due to a exhaust valve or something.

seems better now.

and I do between 60 and 200 miles a day

a8 tech
12-03-2008, 08:59 PM
make sure your using correct oil for topping up as this has caused quite a lot of high ash levels also there is a software update for the engine ecu and also vag com can help identify ash levels and failed regenerations plus dpf temp(look in the measured value block 60 to 75).

prolfe
12-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know the kind of costs for getting vagcom and the necessary equipment?

a8 tech
12-03-2008, 11:04 PM
704 cost about £200 unlimited updates and covers all can and k wire systems,but you can get it for less from ross tech direct.I bought my kit from gendan with full registration but i use it alot and its payed for itself meny meny times over.If you get the freeware lower version you are restricted to functionality.

engineermk
18-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Anorach time...

I've worked on a research project for another manufacturer to develop the regeneration cycle for their DPF (diesel particulate filter) regeneration. Typically a regeneration takes 10mins+ and the exhaust temperature has to be above a set level. This can only be reliably achieved if the car is driven at speeds above 40mph (approx) for 10mins+. The Audi system will be the same.

DPF's are only suitable on cars that are regualrly driven on long(ish) journies at spepeds above 40mph. this doesn't have to be daily, weekly will be good enough for most cars. so if you regulary drive on a free flowwign motorway or A roads you'll be OK. if you live in a city and never leave the urban area the DPF will block up.

I know central London dealers are having to buy back cars sold with DPFs whose owners never leave the capitol.

Finally, if teh filter blocks youwill use more fuel as the exhaust back pressure will be increased and the engine will have to work harder to overcome this.