PDA

View Full Version : help help,

daniel moseley
25-11-2006, 02:29 PM
ok i was just driving down the road in my great vw passat tdi s and as the turbo cut in, it suddenly lost power, and smoke was coming out the exhaust, i turned around and pulled over just as a nicking noise started!!!!!!!!!!

i think i have broken it,

Is it the turbo, there doesnt seem to be oil in the water!!!!!!!!!!

is a 2000 car with 150000:aargh4:

please can someone help

Snowdance38
25-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Never any way to be real sure with out seeing it.. But I have had the same thing happen a few times with other engines.. Odds are its a seal in the turbo or a bearing and seal.. The oil leaks into the intake and exhaust and it smokes like mad.. Most times it does no lasting damage to the engine as long as you did not run out of oil.. You will need to repair or replace the turbo..

But this is just a guess..

daniel moseley
25-11-2006, 04:12 PM
thankyou very much, this confirms my worst fears, although what you say makes good sense.

do you know how to take the turbo out? from manifold, i really have never done one before.

Snowdance38
25-11-2006, 04:39 PM
I have never taken one from a VW engine.. 3 Mercedes, about 10 big trucks, several Tractors.. All are hooked to the intake, exhaust, oil line ,oil return line ,Bypass valve and some times exhaust bypass to warm the exhaust..

I think you would be better to first have some one look at the car to be sure its that before tearing into it.. Could be some thing complete different.. There are other things that can cause that and for sure not things we want to think about..

dolphinfreindly
26-11-2006, 09:21 PM
dont know how easy it is to get your hands in but you might be able to remove the air pipes off the turbo and have a peer inside. any excess oil, can you spin the turbine by hand?