PDA

View Full Version : New Tyres - recommendation?

MarkBS
10-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi all, I know asking for tyre recommendation will probably come back with heaps of suggestions but no matter. I will have to replace the front tyres soon on my SE 2.0tdi A4...currently have the following:

Dunlop SP Sport MAXX 225/45-Z18

Anyone have any particular brands to use/avoid?

For those who would like to know...thus far I have got just over 16k out of the fronts and they may last another 2-3k.
I have seen posts stating to increase the psi by about 3-4 on the fronts to avoid shoulder wear...this has paid off as I have pretty much an overall even wear!

I look forward to any responses
Thanks
Mark:confused:

weepiglet
10-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Hey Mark,

I have just done loads of reasearch on this and in the end decided on Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetricals. The general concensus after my 2 weeks of emails and posts on various forums said that these were as good as Michelin and better than Yokos and Contis.

I got them for £120 each (fitted) at a local garage (they are around £155 usually) after they did a price match for me but you can get them from camskills for £107 each if you have someone to fit them for you.

So far excellent tyre, brilliant in the wet and loads of grip in the dry. They also have a rim protector, it's not great but it helps!!

MarkBS
12-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for your reply, I will consider the Goodyear Eagle F1 tyre...
...anyone else have any further comments/suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Mark

FLIPKEY
12-03-2008, 01:57 PM
In recent years I have purchased FULDA CARAT tyres, they are directional tyres with kerb bumbers and stick like mud , and usually get about 15k out of them, they are great value tyres. Checkout their website :D

Stevieb3
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I Always use Continental's... They are a little harder than the Dunlop SP Max, so they last longer, I also find they are better in the wet,

Crasher
12-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Uniroyal Rainsport 1.

MarkBS
14-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks all fro info. I will bear this in mind when I have to buy some new tyres in 3-4 months time
Mark

Clinterous
14-03-2008, 05:30 PM
You may need to do some research as different tyre models behave differently at different sizes!

'Which' online have a tyre review and they rated Bridgestone RE050 as the dogs, but can't remember for what size though!

AutoExpress has an online tyre review also.

Depends on what your requirements are I say! I.e. Some tyres have more grip than you can shake a stick at, but then are awfully noisy - seems from my research that Conti's get consistent high results across the board.

Have just switched from some Bridge Turanzas to Conti Sport Contacts. The Contis track better, are more responsive on turn in and feel grippier in the wet. But, they are slightly harder than the Turanza's - noise levels the same, but more road feel coming back via steering wheel.

John140
15-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I have Dunlop SP sport Maxx now on my B7 Avant.
I dont think they are that brilliant and haven't lasted long, and tend to track badly. My no 1 choice would be the Eagle F1 GSD3's with Contis as a close second.

Mr_Meeks
20-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Uniroyal Rainsport 1.

Crasher i'm looking to buy some uniroyal rainsport 2 after reading reveiew on it
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-2.htm

Where did you buy yours and at what price?

235 / 40 ZR 18 95Y

Cheers..

Crasher
20-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I get my Uniroyals from a local tyre company who gives me a trade deal as I buy quite a lot of tyres. The Rainsport 2 is a great tyre, my car will be getting some when the RS1’s eventually wear out but I have done 14K on them and the fronts still have over 4-mm left.

toff
20-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm a big fan of Continental ContiSport Contact III's

Fairly low road noise, great in all weather, substantial rim protector to guard your alloys!

I have 18" S4 alloys and I usually pay a shade under £600 for 4 tyres.

Regards
Toff.

Crasher
21-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Yes, good tyres, my business partner has them on his Golf 4 4M is 225/40 18, about £150 per corner fitted. Uniroyal tyres are made by Continental by the way.

ALF_A4
21-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I've only got 10-12k out of the fronts using Conti SC2's (in 235/40/18). I've been through two pairs on the front, they are wearing evenly, just quickly! They are good all-rounders, certainly very (too?) grippy, though I feel they lack ride comfort and refinement compared to P Zero Rossos I have used before. Hard to say, as that was on another car...

On that car and it's similar predecessor I tried Toyo T1-S, P Zero Rossos, Conti SC2's, Bridgestone SO2's and SO3's. I've also run Eagle F1's on similar ("compact exec" cars). Overall I liked the P Zero Rossos the most, but they are not the grippiest in cool/wet conditions - they ride well, are refined, last, and have good feel. SO2's were the gippiest in the dry, SO3's in the wet (but tramlined horribly).

Flakmunky
22-08-2009, 06:35 PM
I replaced Bridgestones on my 350z with Toyo Proxes T1R and what a difference, especially in the wet. Which here in the UK is >80% of the time.

They felt *very* unsafe for the first 250 miles but after that boy they gripped well...

mad-for-tar
23-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas...all the way! ;)

MeAudi
23-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I found my old B6 was very sensitive to tyre choice and went with GSD3 for most of the time.

However, the wear rate was high so I'm looking at the Yokohama C-Drives this time. Has anyone run these on the B7?

clive30v
24-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Also recommend GSD3 goodyears. compound was slightly soft so would wear out quicker but the grip was brilliant and good at clearing water aswell. had 3 pairs on old T5 family car. lasted 11.000 9,000(dont ask!) and 13,000. not sure if they still make them.