PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for Advice

Browny_37
09-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey guys,
Looking into buying a VW Bora 1.9TDI 115bhp (6 Speed) SE or Sport.

Are there any particular things to look at while looking at the cars there and then.
Obviously the servicing is going to come as a part of it, also how frequent do the timing belts need changing on the TDI unit?

Come from a Astra Coupe Turbo.....so its going to be a step down in performance obviously....but i cant resist 62mpg on the motorway! :D

Any info anyone could supply me with would be very beneficial!

Many Thanks In Advance!

paul b
09-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Hey guys,
Looking into buying a VW Bora 1.9TDI 115bhp (6 Speed) SE or Sport.

Are there any particular things to look at while looking at the cars there and then.
Obviously the servicing is going to come as a part of it, also how frequent do the timing belts need changing on the TDI unit?

Come from a Astra Coupe Turbo.....so its going to be a step down in performance obviously....but i cant resist 62mpg on the motorway! :D

Any info anyone could supply me with would be very beneficial!

Many Thanks In Advance!
Go for the Sport! Anyway, timing belt changes should be 60k or 4 years, which ever comes first. I find the TDIs very economical. We (my wife and I) manage 46 mpg from an A6. You should be looking to better that as the Bora is a lighter car.
Good luck.
Paul

Browny_37
10-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Been looking at a A6 Avant Tonight, 98k and up forsale at £8k!:aargh4:

Lush car, much prefer the estate than the saloon in the A6!
What sort of periods are there for servicing?

Also what are the weak points against the bora and the tdi engine?

paul b
10-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Been looking at a A6 Avant Tonight, 98k and up forsale at £8k!:aargh4:

Lush car, much prefer the estate than the saloon in the A6!
What sort of periods are there for servicing?

Also what are the weak points against the bora and the tdi engine?
You have 2 periods of servicing. You have the fixed intervals, which are usually every 10,000 miles, and you have the 'Longlife' servicing which is every 25,000 miles. However I highly advise against the Longlife servicing because using the same oil, fuel filters, air filter etc for 25,000 miles surely cannot be good for a car in the long term.
Assuming it is manual, there is very little to go wrong with the Boras. As long as it starts first time, and all the interior electrics work, and there are no silly warning lights on the dash, you should be fine.
By the way, what year was the A6 you were looking at?
Cheers
Paul