PDA

View Full Version : Front knocking

bonerp
08-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi Ive got a knocking coming from the front end - braking, pulling away etc.
Think its the bushes on the arms.
Has anyone had PU bushes fitted and if so whats the cost?
Mines a 52 tdi sport with 60k on it
cheers
Paul

bonerp
10-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Anyone? Cant believe no-ones had any problems with their front suspension - so many taxis rattle and knock too!

How about normal bushes??

Fozmondo
26-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi Paul
I had knocking comming from front of car. After many hours of checking and forum reading I thought it was the link arm. but after replacing these (both sides) the knocking was still there. so the only thing left was the shockers. changed these and yeahh it was cured. Got a pair of KYB Excell-G good price. had them on for 7 months now.

Hope this helps
Ian

rhencullen1989
26-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Personally from a costing point of view, replacing the bushes is not a good idea, by the time you have removed the arms, pressed out the old bushes, pressed in the new bushes, you may well have been better off putting new arms on. Its usually the ball joints that wear out and you can't replace them on their own, they are part of the complete arm. I have replaced all the arms on my 1.8T with FEBI german quality items, approx £230 for all 10 arms (inc arb). It would be worth getting a second opinion and see if you can detect any wear in the ball joints, but i am aware its quite hard to detect even with a badly worn joint. They should last at least 130K, but once one has gone you may as well replace the whole lot. One way to detect which side is knocking is to drive VERY slowly up a small kerb (as in 1 - 2 inches high) with the car on an angle so only one front wheel goes over the kerb at a time, this way will pinpoint which side (or both) is at fault by hearing a distinctive "CLUNK"...........:approve: