PDA

View Full Version : Blance shaft shake

Gearso
07-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I am new on this site and I have an 05 Audi 2.0TDI. I took it to my local dealer with a shake I get in the car when its sitting idle. They told me that it was a balance shaft issue and there was nothing they could do as it is a fault in this model. Can anyone please tell me if this is correct and should they not have to fix it,

Thanks,
Gearso.

passat>sport
08-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I know there is some issue with regard to the oil pump balance shaft module on the 2.0 PD's!

It can be fixed but it's labour intensive, VW will want to fit a new engine.

Buts thats all I know. If you don't get much replies, try the search button and type (balance shaft module).

A quote from something I read> [0005] The network of pressurized oil passages within an engine's lubrication system typically extends to include the bearings of its balance shafts when present. If any contamination is resident in the oil passages between the oil filter and the balance shaft bearings when the engine is initially assembled, it will not be filtered out of the oil before reaching the bearings. Such build-phase contamination risks damage to balance shaft bearings, especially hydrostatic-type bearings at the extremities of current art lubrication passage networks where the oil passages terminate, leaving only bearing-to-journal running clearance as escape route for the oil and its possible contaminants to return back to the sump. If the oil contains contaminants larger than

can readily escape the very small oil film clearance gap, they will be trapped at the lubrication network terminal bearings, where cyclic motion of the shaft's journal can work them into the clearance gap and produce bearing damage. Damage to balance shaft can lead to engine failure, especially if oil pump functionality is impaired or lost.

Rigger
18-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi, I have a 2006 2.0 TDI 170, and the ******* just called me to arrange some warrenty work next week. Apparrently, they are recalling some cars (mine included) to replace the Balance Shaft Assembly. It's a 'sump-off' job that will take them all day. Also they are replacing the bolts on the 'EGR Cooler'. Glad it's not costing me anything. :-)

mickwork
19-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Similar to you ..I have a 55 Audi 2.0tdi sline with exactly the same shake.Has anyone else been able to resolve this.

xpress52
23-09-2008, 11:21 PM
I have an A4 05 tdi, mine is going into the ******** in a couple of days - i will keep you informed on what they diagnose.