PDA

View Full Version : Alhambra Tyres - Reinforced?

Geordieman54
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
On going to my local tyre dealer they advised that the Alhambra (2000 TDi)requires Re-inforced tyres, also seems that my 216 60 R15H, are not the normal size. (Had the car since new so always been that size!) Shod with Pirrelli's at the moment

Anybody got any comments, since the reinforced tyres start @ £114 each!

chris m
09-03-2008, 02:37 PM
they are quite correct. tha alhambra uses extra load tyres ( i think that is the terminology) due to the weight of the vehicle. At £114 each it sounds a lot, but then they are pirellis. There are cheaper tyres out there that are extra load rated but its your choice.

morgans
10-03-2008, 10:36 PM
dont you mean 215/60/15h
i have these on mine and not Reinforced
144 pounds is alot of money have a shop around
do you do any towing or carry 7 adults around all the time?

Emily's dad
11-03-2008, 08:01 AM
You'd be well advised to get reinforced tyres, full loads or not.

Several reasons:

If you were in the unfortunate position of having a collision in your car, especially if it were serious you'd have both your insurance company and the police examining your car very closely. If the insurance company can find any way of not paying out they will, and the police will prosecute if the incorrect tyres had any bearing on the collision. It is in fact an endorseable offence to have incorrect tyres fitted, a minimum of 3 points per tyre. ( I know as I'm a traffic officer, trained and authorised to exam and prohibit the use of vehicles which have safety or potential safety issues, including incorrect tyres).

There is also a safety margin. Even if you don't carry full loads you know the tyres can cope, and what happens if one day you want to carry seven people and some luggage, would you just take a chance that the tyres will be OK.

Best to shop around and get the correct rated tyres at a price that you are happy with, I'm sure you'll find plenty of advice, if not here try the Ford Galaxy or Seat specific forums.

Geordieman54
11-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Yes 216 was a typo should have been 215.....Anyway check blackcirles.com...got 2...Reinforced (as per Traffic Police recommendation) Continental Premium for 177.20 in total.

Strange ones fitted by Dealer in the past did not warrant the reinforced warning!

Geordieman54
11-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Used to do a lot of towing, still got the caravan sitting on the drive, limited use of 7 seats, but hell can my wife pack when she goes away!

matjill
13-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I recommend the Dunlop sports sp2020e 215/55 rR16 reinforced about £90 per tyre .

cliffdi
18-03-2008, 04:49 PM
I recommend the Dunlop sports sp2020e 215/55 rR16 reinforced about £90 per tyre .

Just had two of these done today. Blackcircles was the cheapest I found (ordered yesterday, fitted today locally, fully fitted price £179.96). Proper local servicing company too.

Mr OV51LTA
15-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Just had two of these done today. Blackcircles was the cheapest I found (ordered yesterday, fitted today locally, fully fitted price £179.96). Proper local servicing company too.

Were these the Dunlop Fast Responce???? Pretty sure thats what mine are, I had to have a set of 4 fitted when I bought it.

Think I paid £376 all in for 4 and that also included their 'we must fill your tyres with nitrogen' policy even though they didn't ask!!

And as said by previous posters, the cars came with the reinforced tyres from the factory due to the weight of the vehicle, apparently with normal tyres fitted they sway all over the road at speed (friend of mine bought one with normal tyres fitted, soon replaced them!!) which probably explains why my Espace used to drive like a blamanche with the Avon ZZ3's fitted to it :biglaugh:

Matt1e
19-04-2008, 03:18 PM
:aargh4:

Be warned that if the vehicle is designated by manufacturer to have reinforced tyres then that becomes an insurance requirement.

If you fit tyres that are not up to the correct reinforced weight standard then you are failing to maintain the vehicle properly, thus invalidating your insurance.

If an insurance company needs an excuse to not pay then they'll use it. So do not give them the opportunity.

Then also think of the load you carry.... My kids are important .........

Shop around there are some manufacturers who are european versions of the brand names here. I have a brand called "EVENT" they are Michellin Pilots, with a very slightly lower silicon content.

Also NEXUS are apparantly Asian versions of TOYO ?

I have never noticed any detriment in there performance bar the last days of tread wear ! which happens in most brands.

Do your research never paid more than £80 per tyre. mine are 215/45/17 R

colhews
03-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Hi guys,
I have been fitting Hankook reinforced tyres on my '98 Alhambra for the past 4 years - the fronts were last changed at easter 2010 - £45 each fitted and balanced!!! Good wearing tyre as well.