PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Barrel

Wellbelove1
07-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi,

I have a question about changing an ignition barrell on a G reg Golf 1.8 Auto. I am not replacing it myself but a friend who is a mechanic for vauxhall is but he has never worked on VW's. He had a look last night and could not see how to get the barrell out (just the last bit where the key goes in) without having to take steering wheel off etc. Is this the case or is there an easier way? I have a new barrel bit to put in and just need to get the old one out as sometimes i have to sit there for 10 mins wiggling the key to get it to turn!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris

monza73
09-03-2008, 02:52 PM
hi chris
i have a 1.8 automatic e reg golf.i just changed the ignition barrel on mine.in order to do it i had to drill a small hole to the left of the ignition barrel to release the spring and out it came

Crasher
09-03-2008, 03:18 PM
You can do this with the lock in situ but the wheel needs to come off. Centre punch at the arrow and use a 3-mm drill bit to slowly drill through the housing which is about 1-mm thick at this point. When you are through, there is a leaf spring underneath and you push this down with a screwdriver whilst pulling the barrel out using the key in the ignition on position but as the barrel comes out, you may need to remove the key to fully extract the barrel.

Wellbelove1
09-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks so much for your responces! Massive help, i feared drilling would be the answer!

Thanks Again

Chris

Crasher
09-03-2008, 05:41 PM
No need to fear it, it is quite easy with a long drill bit and a small cordless drill, access is a bit tight though. What you do have to fear is needing to remove the housing from the car as that means extracting the adapter ring on the column shaft with a puller or removing the complete column assembly from the car to slide the housing off. When I do one of these, I solder up the hole I have made and file it flat to prevent a thief easily removing the barrel.

Wellbelove1
11-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks again brilliant help will try have a go at the weekend! Only problem I have now is the windscreen wiper stalk broke when it got taken off so need to try track one down!

thanks again

Chris