PDA

View Full Version : Any particular difficulty in replacing front shocks?

brd
23-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Howdy,

I am going to change the front shocks on a 1995 Audi 80 cabrio. I've done back ones and they were easy on an 80 saloon... didn't need a spring compressor. Does anyone have advice on what I should look out for in doing it? Do I need spring compressors? Can the shocks be replaced without having to redo alignment? I'm guessing not, but would be handy if I didn't need to do that too.

Thanks for any help/advice/etc.
Brian.

jp_paul
26-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Unfortunately, spring compressors are required to replace front shocks. I suggest soaking the nuts on the shocker/hub assembly joint with WD40 the day before you do the job. Also, check your strut top mountings for any play. The rubber donut type things tend to soften with age and there is a small bearing up there to. These usually require replacing every 60-100k miles but are cheap OEM parts. If there is any damage to your bumpstops, this will cause increased wear on the bearing too. Don't forget to replace damaged bumpstops and weather boots.
I think that you will require a realignment, unless of course you are really lucky or don't mind wearing tyres out and funny handling! Best to get it checked i'd say.
Hope that helps. Good luck

brd
27-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks for that... exactly what I wanted to know. I have the shocks on order myself (as otherwise would have costed twice the price through the garage) and will get someone to do it for me most likely. I don't have the spring compressors (yet!). Much appreciated.