PDA

View Full Version : No lube on my top end!?

bengusmk1
06-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Hello to all! this is my first post and i will be eternally grateful for any help!

Basically, having just spent the last week reconditioning the head on my mk1 1800 ive bolted it all back together and had it up and running and for some reason i have lost all oil pressure to the head:(. i then replaced the oil pump as i thought this was the cause but still no pressure:mad:. i have today run an engine flush through and then filled her up with 15w40 oil and genuine filter but still no pressure to the head:zx11: but i am getting around 6bar at the filter housing.
has anybody experienced this problem before?

p.s the head gasket IS definately on the correct way round/up!

cheers!

neil w
08-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Have you actually lost oil pressure, are you going off the warning buzzer/light or an electric gauge plumbed into the head sensor on the end of the head.
First port of call would be to put a mechanical gauge on the the head and see if you have oil pressure. if so it will be the pressure switch or gauge or a wiring fault.
Had this problem with 2 scirocco injections fitted with DX code 1800 engines , on one it was the pressure switch and on the other it was the buzzer unit in the rear of the dash.

bengusmk1
08-03-2008, 10:45 PM
i tested with a mechanical tester and found that i have 6bar coming off the filter housing but nothing off the side of the head, which to me points towards a blockage somewhere in the oil galleries.
i removed the out pipe from the oil cooler and cranked it over and a load of black sludgy oil came out, and with the cooler being after the filter i reckon ive dislodged some crap from within the cooler which has now sucked into the block. SO... Im gonna whip the head off again tomorrow and try and blow it out with the airline. fingers crossed! these things are sent to test!

onzarob
08-03-2008, 11:01 PM
i'm sure I read somewhere...can't remember:( But someone had a headgasket upside down and it blocked off the oilway to the head ;)

Hope you get it sorted :D

bengusmk1
08-03-2008, 11:19 PM
She was up and running fine for the first few days... i've fitted a hydraulic lifter head and all the tappets had pumped up fine.. pretty much sounding like a new engine. i took it for a blast and then, sat in traffic... tap tap tap!!!and all of them started rattling! which is obviously down to the lack of oil to the head. either way im hoping the airline will clear it otherwise im a bit shafted for now.

bengusmk1
08-03-2008, 11:22 PM
double checked the gasket and it is with out doubt on the correct way.

onzarob
08-03-2008, 11:28 PM
If it was working for a while then stopped, I think a blockage is your only hope. fingers crossed for you.

chief9780
12-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi there, i'm having same problem with my 1800 audi a4, changed the oil pump and still the same. Would you please please please get in touch with me if you find a cure i'm really struggling.
My email address is chief9780@hotmail.co.uk
thanx steve

Hello to all! this is my first post and i will be eternally grateful for any help!

Basically, having just spent the last week reconditioning the head on my mk1 1800 ive bolted it all back together and had it up and running and for some reason i have lost all oil pressure to the head:(. i then replaced the oil pump as i thought this was the cause but still no pressure:mad:. i have today run an engine flush through and then filled her up with 15w40 oil and genuine filter but still no pressure to the head:zx11: but i am getting around 6bar at the filter housing.
has anybody experienced this problem before?

p.s the head gasket IS definately on the correct way round/up!

cheers!

mr brightside
16-03-2008, 01:16 AM
you've probably sorted the job by now but here's my two cents anyway. you say you've got 6 bar oil perssure,but at what RPM? a rebuilt DX engine should generate 2.5-3 bar at 2000 RPM if my memory serves me correctly, i tee'd my oil pressure switches off to gauges on mine and mounted them by the dash. the minimum pressure at 2000 RPM is 2 bar. if your 6 bar is occuring at idle then you definitely have a blockage no doubt, but it beats me as to how the hell it happened by doing the head. the only thing i can think of is are you using gasket compound on the headgasket? usually they don't need it if you've had the head skimmed (personal opinion) but if you are applying it could you be laying it on too thick? molybdenum grease is a better option than gasket compound cos it bakes like glue and is soluble in oil but only apply a thin sliver and leave a eighth inch radius clear aroud the bores. next time you check the oil pressure check it at both pressure switches, head and block.

bengusmk1
17-03-2008, 08:04 PM
booya! all sorted after alot of mucking about!
after studying another dx head (off the car) i blew an airline through the hole for the top oil pressure switch to see where it went...and there it was.. a secret hidden oilway that no-one talks about tucked away just up inside the hole for the head bolt , above the front water outlet and around an inch in.
So...back to my engine...removed the head bolt, turned it over and for a few seconds.... nothing!!!...but then a big gurgle of black sludge and then loads of clean oil.....bolted everything back together and now shes fine!:biglaugh:
wahey!

Plenty of ball ache but i got there in the end and now shes purring!

BACK IN THE GAME

onzarob
17-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Great news, well done, thanks for updating the thread:D