PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 2.0tdi dsg s-line tyre wear

markj1974
06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Bought four brand new falken tyres 225 40 18 for my a3 6 months ago, are supposed to be decent tyres, only travelled about 5500 miles on these and the front two were well worn especially on the edges, not much left on them all over to be honest. Had to replace them with new tyres again today surely this is not right, thought the tracking must need sorting but the guy who fitted my new tyres again today said the tracking was fine.What pressure should i be running them on ? Has this ever hapened to anyone, i was under the impression that i should have got at least 10000 miles out of brand new tyres.Very odd and expensive, bought another two falkens newer design to see how these last, are they just crap tyres? do i need to spend that little bit more for a better brand of tyre? Any help will be appreciated, have only just registered to this forum today.

Teg
06-03-2008, 10:43 PM
I have 2.0TDI Sport (2004) model.

I got Continental ContactSport2 tyres from BlackCircles.com

Spoke to a few people and they recommended I use those tyres as the car has so much torque and any other tyres will not last that long. My tyres are only 17".

Not sure if that helps but have a look at that website for price on new fronts. They are very good!

Welcome to the forum!

Teg

markj1974
06-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks very much buddy anything will help cannot believe the tyres only lasted 5500 miles unbelievable ! will check out that website, thanks again !

markj1974
06-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Had a look at that website and guess what the recomended tyre were 225 40 18 the falkens that have just worn out after 5500 on mine. They were £100 on blackcircles.com, i only paid 78 each for mine, but to see them as the recomended tyre just makes my case all the more baffling !

paul b
07-03-2008, 12:37 AM
5500 miles! That's awful. You weren't battering round corners on 2 wheels were you?
Paul

markj1974
07-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I know its awful, done my head in cost me a few quid ! Never batterin round corners but even if i was they should never had lasted only 5500 surely. Cant understand it.

00161wj
07-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Well you have put cheapo tyres on so cant expect alot really. Id have expected a blow out before that mileage lol. Your tyre pressure are on your fuel cap. Need to keep an eye on this as its the main contributer to tyre wear.

markj1974
07-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Wouldnt really say they are cheapos mate, £100 each on blackcircles.com and are the recomended tyre dweeb !!!!! I know where the tyre pressure is on my fuel cap aswell !! Just seeing if anyone has had the same probs as 5500 miles off a brand newtyre is unbelievable mucker !!!!!!

neil w
08-03-2008, 10:00 AM
My A4 avant 130 tdi came with Falkens on the front 234/45 x 17, they were pretty much worn out after @ 8000 miles (according to bills with car).
A mate runs them on a Lancia delta integrale fitted with 17" rims and they grip very well but only last 5 to 7 thousand miles each.
For the past 15 years I've been running TOYO Proxes on my Sciroccos, Ibiza , Golf and Corrado and they seem to get at least 16,000 to the front tyres and 25,000 on the rears. that said I put a set of Fuldas on a new set of alloys and ran them on three different cars , the rears lasted over 30,000 and the fronts at least 22,000.
Only reason I didn't keep on using them was that no one local was supplying them.
As for Falkens being cheapies bear in mind that Ford supply vehicles new fitted with the likes of KUHMO tyres when a few years ago it would never have been less than michelins or goodyears.
Yes michelins etc are nice and I wouldn't use anything less on my bikes but on a car tyre tread depth makes more of a difference than compounds on the road.
A torquey front wheel drive diesel is always going to be heavy on front tyres and as long as the tracking etc is fine it is something that you learn to live with.

00161wj
08-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Wouldnt really say they are cheapos mate, £100 each on blackcircles.com and are the recomended tyre dweeb !!!!! I know where the tyre pressure is on my fuel cap aswell !! Just seeing if anyone has had the same probs as 5500 miles off a brand newtyre is unbelievable mucker !!!!!!
Well put it this way, as a prestige car dealer i would never consider selling one of my vehicles with falken ditch finder tyres on and would most certainly not fit them on my own car.
'The recommended tyre', do you no think they have targets to meet?
And sorry for telling you where to look for your tyre pressures when you asked what pressure you should run them on.

paul b
08-03-2008, 10:34 PM
There is a difference between really cheap tyres and quality. I used to put Continental Contact Sport on mine, but changed to Michelin Pilot Primacys which are far quiter and just as grippy.
Paul