PDA

View Full Version : is my car remapped ?

jabbee
06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
hi guys, just got a silver gt tdi 130, and very pleased with it . fast and smooth and looks well. the dealer said it was a remapped but having never driven a standard 130 golf before i can't tell if has been remapped or not. it does seem very quick when pushed and wheels spin in second gear , also there is a loud hissing, whooshing noise coming from the engine. is there any way of telling if it is a remap without putting it on a dyno? cheers

elPaulio
06-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey there,

Not really, I would ask the dealer what type of remap it has, this may lead you to be able to see if it does have a remap.

Dyno'ing it might not shed any light on it either as VW are notorious for under estimating the power of their cars. My Mk5 2.0TDi should have 138Bhp but it was pumping out nearly 155 after a couple of months!! 15Bhp wouldn't be a reasonable gain for a fairly conservative remap, so I guess you just have to believe them.

But I would get more info from them as you will need to declare the improvements to your insurer!!

Cheers

Paul

jabbee
06-03-2008, 07:49 PM
cheers paul, i think the dealer was a bit of a cowboy and probably reckoned telling me it was a faster remapped version would make sure i bought it off him. a friend has offered me a plug in chip for free but i won't need it if it is remapped . either way the performance is plenty if you floor it your away past 70mph anyway and i dont want anymore points on my licence.(points all got while driving a terribly slow deisel clio ) thanks again. ill bring it down to volkswagen centre and get it checked ouy