PDA

View Full Version : Polo 1.3 1995 starting problem

redimp
06-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi,

I have a mark 4 1.3L Polo, but recently there has been a problem when starting.

It actually strikes up fine, but then immediately stalls after about 2 seconds as there is just a flat spot. The revs go up as usual, but rather than tick over normally it drops to 0 revs and cuts out. (It's similar to cars with manual chokes, when they just cut out straight away).

After an hour of trying I gave up and called the breakdown company, who couldn't find the problem, they then towed it to the garage and it started up first time?? They checked the engine and can't find any faults. I know this will happen again so am left with a car that's 0% reliable.

Anybody else encountered these problems?

Paul.

kenney
06-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi This sounds like the immobilizer have you had a fault code read

redimp
06-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I did mention the immobiliser to the garage, but he said he'd run it through the diagnostics and there was no fault. Would it start at all if the problem was the immobiliser? Because it does actually fire up, but then just goes dead.

It is an after market immobiliser, so I do still question it.

kenney
06-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi an aftermarket immobilizer will not show up on the cars diagnostic system.There will be only one way to find out if it is the immo and that is to remove it.

redimp
07-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Ah right, the guy at the garage didn't know this - he said that the immobiliser hadn't reported any problems. I think I'll just go ahead and remove the immobiliser then as this sounds to be the issue - is it an easy job?

cunha
29-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Ah right, the guy at the garage didn't know this - he said that the immobiliser hadn't reported any problems. I think I'll just go ahead and remove the immobiliser then as this sounds to be the issue - is it an easy job?

Hi,

I also a VW Polo (95) and have the same starting prob you described. A diagnostics came up with a Sensor hall fault (G40) but am not sure this is the problem....

A friend also mentioned the possibility that it may be the immobiliser, so I would like to ask if you DID remove it and if it solved the problem?

And, did you manage to do it yourself or did you have to go to a garage?
Please let me know.

Thank you.

redimp
30-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Cunha,

I got the fault sorted and it was the immobiliser. I spoke to a few people and this seems to be a current fault with the polo. The immobiliser was removed at a cost of £80, and it sorted the issue.

I was told that if the same thing re-occurs it may be the ignition barrel that needs replacing at a cost of about £150. I'd recommend getting a fault reading done.

Paul.

cunha
30-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

I did have a fault reading done and it came back with:
Hall Sensor - G40 - 00515
No signal, permanent fault.

This was described by someone else in the forum, with a very different problem on his Polo: (consuming too much petrol), which made me question the reliability of the test. More so when I also read, in the response to his question, someone saying that this reading was returned because they did the test with the engine NOT running (exactly what they did in my case!!), so I'm not sure if the sensor is 'the' problem.....

Also, friends suggested the immobiliser could be the problem, and that's why I wanted to know if it resolved your problem. Before I go and get more money spent, replacing things that are not problematic.

So, I think I should remove the immobiliser too.

You never had the same starting prob again since you removed it, right?

Thank you once again for your reply.

Kind regards

Cunha