PDA

View Full Version : Auto T4

NOK
06-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Hello to all,

My Caravelle has developed a problem with its auto gearbox, :confused: as I'm driving along it seems to drop out of gear. I need to take my foot off the gas, let the revs die down so it can pop back into gear and them away we go again. Oil levels seem fine. Would you say gearbox it on its way out or can I adjust it some how. Does anyone know what the problem could be, how to fix?

Many Thanks :biglaugh:

Crasher
06-03-2008, 02:35 PM
We need some more detail (year, engine) but you should get a fault code read done.

NOK
06-03-2008, 02:38 PM
That would be good, sorry I was in a rust to get to work.

Its a 1995 Caravelle 2.4 Diesel Auto. I don't know nothing about fault codes or how to get one?

Many Thanks

Crasher
06-03-2008, 05:25 PM
The gearbox has a computer and so it also has diagnostic capabilities. The socket for this is under the steering column. You need to get the vehicle to a garage who can read the fault codes. The first read of codes must be printed off and then the codes cleared. Then drive the vehicle until the problem occurs again and read the codes again. Whatever comes up on the second read can be used to help diagnose the problem.

NOK
07-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks Crasher for that usefull information.

My problem is I live on a shoe-string and can not afford to put my van into a garage. I have a laptop I built from parts off ebay, could I not use that and do the job myself, will I need special software if possible?

Once again many thanks to all those people who spend a bit of their time trying to help other. All I can offer is PC help if you want to come to me.

Crasher
07-03-2008, 02:26 PM
You could buy a VAG-COM cable off Eshrules (a forum memebr) http://www.eshrules-enterprises.co.uk/ and that would allow you to read codes and many other functions.